Re: Hyper-V VSA Bug (325 Views)
Occasional Visitor
NCoppersmith
Message 1 of 2 (327 Views)

Hyper-V VSA Bug

I've been playing around in my lab with the VSA for Hyper-V prior to rolling it into production.  I've discovered a rather evil bug that I wanted to see if someone else could replicate.  I can duplicate this problem non-stop, so it's either my particular configuration, or I'm doing something wrong.

Brand new, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.  Create a basic VM just to verify it all works. (it does)

Install VSA for Hyper-V.

If the VSA installation fails for any reason, it will delete the entire Hyper-V folder out of C:\programdata\microsoft\windows (the default hyper-v installation folder).  I've had this happen at least 5 or 6 times now, the latest was because I tried to create a VHD to a path that didn't exist.  Thankfully, after the previous time I got wise and backed up the Hyper-V folder before running the VSA installation, so all I had to do was copy it back.

This is kind of nasty though, if it's not just me I can imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth that would occur in a production environment.

Also, can we make the install smarter so if the path doesn't exist during installation it gets created?  Minor detail I know, but I can't remember the last time software installation would die instead of creating a path that was specified but didn't exist.

(note: all this was done on the machine itself, logged in as a local administrator)

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
NCoppersmith
Message 2 of 2 (325 Views)

Re: Hyper-V VSA Bug

Actually it looks like it deletes whatever folder you install to if it fails. I had a folder called C:\Hyper-V with a single VM created inside of it and after it failed it removed the entire C:\Hyper-V folder. (doesn't go into the recycle bin either)
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation