SoftPaq Download Manager (3.4.4.0) gets it wrong on AiO Elite 8200 with generic Win 7 Ent. (3865 Views)
Occasional Visitor
dtbullock
Message 1 of 11 (3,865 Views)
Accepted Solution

SoftPaq Download Manager (3.4.4.0) gets it wrong on AiO Elite 8200 with generic Win 7 Ent.

NB:  This is related to HP 'instant support' case 4639675441 which is being escalated. But I thought I would go directly to the experts in this software.

Let's look at this problem though the lens of an example: "Webcam Sharing Manager" (SoftPaq 53525).

In SoftPaq Downloader on the "Available SoftPaqs" screen, it is one of those which can be automatically installed (status: "Not installed").  I select it, press the "Install" button at the top of the screen.  SoftPaq Download Manager minimises itself, and
I get a taskbar pop-up with a progress-bar saying "Installing SoftPaqs".  Then the pop-up changes to "Softpaq Installation is Complete".  So far, so good.

Then SoftPaq Download Manager re-opens to the "Install Summary" window.  Shock!  Webcam Sharing Manager is "Not Installed" (and an 'alert' icon).

Even after SDM goes through the process of "Checking the installed status of available SoftPaqs. Please wait.", it still thinks the "Webcam Sharing Manager" SoftPaq is not installed.

This is the experience I get for *all* presently un-installed SoftPaqs.

Now, did it install or not?  Well, I think it did:  The "ArcSoft Webcam Sharing Manager" device is *there* under Device Manager > Imaging Devices. It's got the version 2.0.0.30 that is indicated by the SoftPaq release notes (although it lacks the "Revision K" suffix). And the properties in device manager say the driver was installed mere minutes ago.  There is an entry "ArcSoft Webcam Sharing Manager" in Control Panel > 'Uninstall or Change a Program'.  If I remove this entry and re-run the SoftPaq, it puts it back there.  The SoftPaq *installed* succesfully, for sure. 

But SDM doesn't think it did.  Why not?  How can SDM be so wrong about this?  Does SDM have secret dependencies on factory-supplied Windows images? Is there a log file I can look at?  Is there a tool to check the integrity of (or rebuild) the local 'Softpaq registration status' repository?  Is there advice on file permissions that SDM relies on?

I would really like SDM to work properly.

Thanks!

Occasional Visitor
dtbullock
Message 2 of 11 (3,852 Views)

Re: SoftPaq Download Manager (3.4.4.0) gets it wrong on AiO Elite 8200 with generic Win 7 Ent.

Well, I am willing to believe that my given example is a case of a bad CVA file.

Considering C:\ProgramData\HP\HP SoftPaq Download Manager\SWDownload\sp53525.cva, it has two entries under [DetailFileInformation] (which are not qualified by an OS, so I presume SSM simply takes the first match it can find, or else this CVA is really screwed up):

uArcCapture.exe=<WINSYSDIR>,0x0002,0x0000,0x0000,0x001E
uArcCapture.exe=<WINDIR>\system,0x0002,0x0000,0x0000,0x001E

As it turns out, after intstalling the SoftPaq, the detail file uArcCapture.exe is neither at C:\Windows\System32 nor C:\Windows\System, but is in fact in C:\Windows\System32\ArcVCapRender

How could HP distribute such a lousy CVA file?  (Or alternatively, how could HP give such poor documentation for the CVA file format in the SSM User's Guide?)

Neighborhood Moderator
louy
Message 3 of 11 (3,850 Views)

Re: SoftPaq Download Manager (3.4.4.0) gets it wrong on AiO Elite 8200 with generic Win 7 Ent.

We concur. We will contact the appropriate team to fix this CVA.  If you could submit the list of SoftPaqs that display this same behavior "Provide Feedback to HP" menu option in SDM, we will have them checked out as well.

Occasional Visitor
dtbullock
Message 4 of 11 (3,849 Views)

Another example of a bad CVA file, for SP54793 (HP Compaq Business Desktop System BIOS (J10 BIOS)).  The CVA file specifies:

[DetailFileInformation]
J10.CAB=ROM,J10,09,15,20,11

But there was never a J10 BIOS which was released on 15 Sep 2011.  At http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=au&prodTypeId=12... we learn that the most recent 2 BIOSes are:

2.07 ... released 3 Oct 2011

2.03 - released 15 Aug 2011

So although this system has the latest BIOS (2.07), SSM thinks it doesn't, because the CVA file is wrong.

*SIGH*

I'll bet all my remaining issues are bad CVA's too.  C'mon HP, can't we do better than this?  I paid top dollar for those machines, on the mis-understanding they'd reduce my TCO.

Occasional Visitor
dtbullock
Message 5 of 11 (3,846 Views)

[ Edited ]

louy wrote:

We concur. We will contact the appropriate team to fix this CVA.  If you could submit the list of SoftPaqs that display this same behavior "Provide Feedback to HP" menu option in SDM, we will have them checked out as well.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Where do I complain that there is no SoftPaq available for HP Protect Tools Security Manager for AiO Elite 8200, or that only a fraction of the software available for this machine is SSM-enabled?

Occasional Visitor
dtbullock
Message 6 of 11 (3,835 Views)

[ Edited ]

I allege the following SoftPaqs (matched on Elite AiO 8200, Win7 Enterprise 32-bit, English) are inadequate in the following ways.

The following SoftPaqs have definite issues with their CVA files:

53525 - Webcam Sharing Manager
  The DetailFile incorrectly expects to be in the Windows system directory, but the insaller puts it in a subdirectory.

54793 - HP Compaq Business Desktop System BIOS (J10 BIOS)
  The DetailFile is one-month off when specifying the date of the J10 2.0.7 BIOS which the SoftPaq installs

The following have CVA files (which might be correct), but they presume that 'host' software - HP Protect Tools Security Manager - has already been installed. 

While the release notes for these SoftPaqs state this dependency, SSM handles the situation poorly:

1. the SoftPaq installer runs without reporting an error to SSM, but actually did not make any attempt to create the DetailFile in the expected location - it should report an error;
  2. there appears to be no depencency mechanism in the whole SSM/CVA architecture which can specify this dependency.

Also, since there is no SoftPaq available for "HP Protect Tools Security Manager 6.00", it is not possible to install these tools on an installation of Windows 7 Enterprise (a generic distribution as obtained from Microsoft).  (would be happy to be proven wrong about this).

53303 - Computrace for HP Protect Tools
54889 - Device Access Manager for HP Protect Tools (v 6.1.0.1 L 1)
54088 - Drive Encryption for HP Protect Tools
53523 - Embedded Security for HP Protect Tools
54105 - Face Recognition for HP Protect Tools
54158 - File Sanitizer for HP Protect Tools
54361 - Privacy Manager for HP Protect Tools

The following lack a CVA file at all:

For, drivers, that's really, really annoying:

54806 - Intel Gigabit Network Drivers for Multiple Operating Systems
53564 - HP Webcam AV Sync Fix
52872 - Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver 802.11b/g/n
52783 - HP Client Management Interface Administrator Toolkit
50888 - Intel Chipset Support for Microsoft Windows

For key management software, that's annoying too:

55118 - HP Support Assistant
52741 - Business Desktop BIOS Utilities
52095 - HP System Software Manager
45486 - HP Management Agent

For diagnostics, it's not too inconvenient:

56256 - HP Vision Diagnostics Offline Edition (USB Flash Disk Only)
56255 - HP Vision Diagnostics CD Image

For domain-specific software solutions, it's not so bad unless you're in that domain:

52909 - HP Classroom Manager

The following is an earlier version of 54889 and shouldn't have been matched:

54346 - Device Access Manager for HP Protect Tools (v 6.0.0.12 H 1)

The following are earlier versions of 56256 and 56255, and shouldn't have been matched:

54782 - HP Vision Diagnostics CD Image
54876 - HP Vision Diagnostics Offline Edition (USB Flash Disk Only)

Neighborhood Moderator
louy
Message 7 of 11 (3,809 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your very thorough post.  We will be contacting the appropriate teams to handle.

Following is a summary of our assessment:

1. Investigate why HP Protect Tools Security Manager is not associated with this model.
  2. Investigate why the submitted list of SoftPaqs that have no CVA are marked in SDM as being "Installable".  Alternatively, find out whether said SoftPaqs should have CVA files (and, thus, are be SSM-compliant).
  3. Investigate supersed problems for sp54889, sp56256 and sp56255.
  4. Investigate why sp5325 has incorrect detail file information for SSM -- already being worked on.
  5. Investigate why sp4793 contains the incorrect date (used in version control) in the CVA file.

Neighborhood Moderator
louy
Message 8 of 11 (3,804 Views)

We are submitting this problem as well to the appropriate team. Thanks for your thoroughness.

Neighborhood Moderator
Matt___H
Message 9 of 11 (3,788 Views)

Just to add a little bit to this thread...

louy detailed the 5 somewhat minor SoftPaq issues above, with the rest being side effects of those.  I agree that this can be frustrating.

We, as SDM Support, have little control or influence with the teams who produce the SoftPaqs.  We are mere "consumers" of the data in much the same way as you are.

Thus, it would help a great deal if you pursue these issues through support, so that your influence as customer will help bring proper attention to the underlying validation process issue.

In the meantime, we are also doing everything in our power to bring attention to these.

Occasional Advisor
Mike Frazer
Message 10 of 11 (1,222 Views)

HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF not detected by SDM.  "This specific model could not be matched"

Why?

Neighborhood Moderator
louy
Message 11 of 11 (1,217 Views)

This thread was solved a few days after it was initiated. As of July 10, 2013 12:46PM Central Time (UTC-6:00) the Elite 8200 Enterprise for both 32 and 64 are in the catalog. Please submit an SDM log from the SDM application by selecting Help and then "Provide Feedback to HP".

Please enter a description of the problem in the email body, otherwise, the SDM Support Team will not realize that they should be looking for a problem.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.