Revolve 810 Windows 8.1 drivers? (717 Views)
Advisor
Russell Johnson
Message 1 of 10 (717 Views)
Accepted Solution

Revolve 810 Windows 8.1 drivers?

There are 8.1 drivers available on the HP Support driver download website, why not SDM?  My Revolve 810 is only one year old - why can't it be updated to 8.1???  The HP check to update website says it 'hasn't been tested"???

Let's go!!!!

Russell

Please use plain text.
Neighborhood Moderator
louy
Message 2 of 10 (703 Views)

Re: Revolve 810 Windows 8.1 drivers?

As of January 27, 2014, 2:25 PM (UTC-6:00), SDM catalog version 1.0.4.163 released on January 26, 2014 displayes Windows 8.1 SoftPaqs for both the Revolve 810 G1 and G2 (see attached screenshot of SDM).

Can you please elaborate on what problem you are having? What is the URL for the "HP check to update website" that says "it hasn't been tested"?

Capture.PNG

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Russell Johnson
Message 3 of 10 (645 Views)

My SDM catalog is newer and no 8.1 drivers...

sdm.jpg

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Russell Johnson
Message 4 of 10 (644 Views)

Sorry, missed the second question: URL is http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/windows-8/upgrade.html# and entering my product number D3K50UT#ABA brings up page http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/windows-8/no_info81.html.
Please use plain text.
Neighborhood Moderator
louy
Message 5 of 10 (640 Views)

Please refer to FAQ 28 in our forum and read #3.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-SoftPaq-Download-Manager/FAQ-28-Why-does-SDM-not-display-any-availab...

It would seem you have are filtering out Win 8.1 in your configuraiton.

Please use plain text.
Neighborhood Moderator
louy
Message 6 of 10 (629 Views)

We are sorry you are having problems with the http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/windows-8/upgrade.html# page.

Please be aware that SDM has no connection or control of that page; but it sure seems that the language used in
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/windows-8/no_info81.html can be confusing to say the least.

Untitled.png

However, we take the above to mean that HP is not currently offering the means (media, licenses, etc) to provide customers with the Revolve 820 G1 to upgrade that model from Windows 8.0 to Windows 8.1.

But, perhaps, the point expressed on the webpage is moot since you have already upgraded to Windows 8.1 on your own initiative (without waiting for HP to provide you with that solution) AND there are SoftPaqs for Windows 8.1 are available.

Please refer to our previous reply. We think that SDM is not displaying Windows 8.1 SoftPaqs because that operating system is being filtered out in the configuration.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Russell Johnson
Message 7 of 10 (624 Views)

Holy mackerel!  OS filterng was the problem.  Thanks!

-Russell

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Russell Johnson
Message 8 of 10 (615 Views)

I hadn't yet upgraded to Win 8.1 because I was waiting for official support, which doesn't appear to be forthcoming on the update check website route, but since Win 8.1 drivers are available to download for my Revolve 810 G1, then I will assume that the device is actually supported.  Can't wait for Win 8.2!

Thanks again for all your valuable assistance!

Russell

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Shelldrake
Message 9 of 10 (578 Views)

Hi Russell

I would be very careful. I have upgraded to Win8.1 two times now.  A couple of things to consider;

1. Upgrading to latest BIOS (not really a Win 8.1 related) will render screen rotation obsolete - therefore turning your Revolve into a small laptop.

2.  There is no Win8.1 support for the Centrino N 6235 (WiFi hardware), and N mode does not work, therefore you will be stuck with B/G wireless speeds - approx 10x slower than N mode.

I'm at this stage now.  The frustrating thing (for me, besides the countess hours I've spent re-installing Win8 and Win8.1 again after the initial BIOS/screen rotation issues and trying to track down why wireless network is so slow) is that HP are trying to tell me they probably won't worry about fixing the 6235 driver as the G1 is not worth supporting (G2 out now).  I have $400 laptops here which have upgraded to Win8.1 with a hitch, yet here is a HP device, which I paid top dollar for in the misguided view that I would receive superior and longer life service from it, and the company is telling me it's rendered obsolete less than 12 months after I bought it (APR12)!!!!!!

I have really lost faith in HP over this PC (Revolve G1 tablet) and wish I hadn't invested extra money in it.  Those "cheapy" options are now looking a million dollars compared to this thing (and the huge hole in my wallet) I've been left with.

Anyway, just though I'd warn you  . . .

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Russell Johnson
Message 10 of 10 (571 Views)

Thanks so much for your post.  I'm now thinking that I won't be upgrading for the near term.  I also just bought this 810 and I've been having discussions with our company's HP rep about all these problems.  I want my money back essentially or a free upgrade to a G2.  Future HP purchases are hinging on them getting this right.  Dell is not really any better (months behind in their driver libraries) and I've only heard about poor workmanship with Lenovo.  At least with HP and Dell the equipment is well constructed, just doesn't do what's expected and so I'll go with whoever will keep their equipment and drivers up to date in concert with Windows accelerated development.  Making customers unhappy while Apple and Samsung are poised to take over the personal computing market is really dumb.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation