FAQ(29): Why is the "Show Latest SoftPaqs" button grayed out? (418 Views)
Neighborhood Moderator
louy
Message 1 of 2 (418 Views)
Accepted Solution

FAQ(29): Why is the "Show Latest SoftPaqs" button grayed out?

When I am in "All Products" or "Build Driver Pack" mode, the "Show Latest SoftPaqs" button is grayed out. How do I enable that feature so SDM will show me the latest versions of the SoftPaqs for my selected models?

Capture.PNG

Neighborhood Moderator
louy
Message 2 of 2 (425 Views)

Re: FAQ(29): Why is the "Show Latest SoftPaqs" button grayed out?

[ Edited ]

In "All Products" and "Build Driver Pack" modes, you have the capability to check more than one model. Unfortunately, showing the latest version of a SoftPaq for more than one model is problematic because the same version of a SoftPaq might not be the one that is qualified for all selected models which renders the query useless and ambiguous.

Just think about it for a second. If we had a model (call it ModelA) from 5 years ago and another model that is only 1 year old (call it ModelB) selected in SDM. Keep in mind that computer models from different years will likely have hardware differences requiring different hardware drivers. Also note that this might be the case even if the models were from the same year. Also, qualification of newer software for models only goes back a certain amount of years. It could very well be that the software might work on older models, but if HP does not qualify it and test it, HP will not associate the newer version of the SoftPaqs with the older models.

So, what does the request: "show me the latest SoftPaq versions for selected models ModelA and ModelB" really mean? We posed this exact question to various people and two completely DIFFERENT answers came back. The answer seemed to be influenced by the different needs of the organization to which the respondents belonged to.

For some, the answer was: "show me the latest SoftPaq that is qualified for BOTH models". This is known as an "AND" query. This query would only show what the common SoftPaqs between ModelA and ModelB are but would NOT display SoftPaqs that were qualified for one model and not the other.  With this query, the more models that are selected, the less number of SoftPaqs will be displayed.

But for other respondents, the answer was "show me the lastest Softpaq that is qualififed for EITHER model"; which is an "OR" query. This query would show the entire set of SoftPaqs that are associated with either model. But it would not be obvious whether each SoftPaq was qualified for ModelA, for ModelB or for both. This query seemed to be too inclusive since the more models were selected, the more likely that a SoftPaq would appear even if it only was qualified for one model on the list.

So, to exemplify the above, imagine the following scenarios...

Scenario 1

We have three SoftPaqs. SoftPaq1 is qualified for both ModelA and ModelB, SoftPaq2 is ONLY qualified for ModelA and SoftPaq3 is ONLY qualified for ModelB. Which SoftPaqs should be displayed as the "latest SoftPaq for ModelA and ModelB?"

Answer:

AND query: SoftPaq1 because it is the "latest version of a SoftPaq that is qualified for BOTH models"

OR query: SoftPaq2 and SoftPaq3 because each is the "latest version of a SoftPaq for at least one model"

Scenario 2

What if SoftPaq3 did not exist?

Answer:

AND query:SoftPaq1 because it is the "latest version of a SoftPaq that is qualified for BOTH models"

OR query:SoftPaq1 and SoftPaq2 because each is the "latest version of a SoftPaq for at least one model"

Scenario 3

What if SoftPaq1 did not exist?

Answer:

AND query: No SoftPaq is qualified for BOTH models

OR query: SoftPaq2 and SoftPaq3 because each is the "latest version of a SoftPaq for at least one model"

Add more models and SoftPaqs and the results gets confusing real quick. So, to avoid confusion, it was decided that the "Show Latest SoftPaqs" button would be disabled if more than one model was selected because this is the only case where "Show Latest SoftPaqs"  is not ambiguous. Thus, the "Show Latest SoftPaqs" button will be available if only one model (and OS and Language) is selected.

If you have several models that you are managing and want to make use of the "Show Latest SoftPaqs" button, please make use of SDM configurations and save a configuration for every model. For more information on SDM configurations, please refer to the SDM Help.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.