FAQ(26): I installed a different version/edition of Windows and now SDM will not show me updates. (188 Views)
Neighborhood Moderator
louy
Message 1 of 2 (188 Views)
Accepted Solution

FAQ(26): I installed a different version/edition of Windows and now SDM will not show me updates.

[ Edited ]

I installed a different version/edition of Windows and now SDM will not work in "Update" mode.

Please use plain text.
Neighborhood Moderator
louy
Message 2 of 2 (183 Views)

Re: FAQ(26): I installed a different edition of Windows and now SDM will not show me updates.

[ Edited ]

This might happen when certain operating system(s) that HP did not specifically test with the model is installed and happens often with some models and Windows Ultimate (or even 64-bit editions on some older models) prior to Windows 8 Ultimate.

Because SDM detects the new operating system, but cannot match it in the SDM catalog, it (SDM) will disable "Update" mode.  However, please note that you can still use SDM in "All Products" mode to download your SoftPaqs by following these steps (the Probook 4730s is used as an example):

1. Press the "Show All Products" button on the SDM toolbar
  2. If a dialog box warning that “No operating systems have been selected, then proceed to step
  3. Press OK to close the dialog box.
  4. Check the “Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 Edition” checkbox.
  5. Click on the “Language Filter” tab.
  6. Check “English – International” checkbox.
  7. Press the OK button.
  8. Now, expand the treeview on the left hand side of the SDM application by selecting the following:
  9. HP Probook 4700 Notebook PC Series
  10. HP Probook 4730s Notebook PC
  11. Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 Edition
  12. Check the checkbox at “English – International”
  13. Press the “Find Available SoftPaqs” button
  14. After “things settle down”, click the “Show Latest SoftPaqs” button on the top right of the SDM application. 

The latest list of Softpaqs for your model should be displayed now. We recommend that you download all the SoftPaqs listed. This way any new SoftPaqs that are released for this model will appear on the top list view labeled “Available SoftPaqs”.

To install a SoftPaq after being downloaded, right-click the SoftPaq from the “Downloaded SoftPaqs” listview and select “Install SoftPaq”.

Important note: most SoftPaqs listed using the above method should apply to your model, but a small number of SoftPaqs might not be applicable to your model because of different hardware offerings for your model. This means that not all SoftPaqs listed will install on your model and that is normal.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation