upgrade 9.30 to 9.33 (155 Views)
Visitor
DanieleBSC
Message 1 of 4 (155 Views)

upgrade 9.30 to 9.33

Hi all,

I'm trying to make the migration from SM 9.30 (on a Linux server, Suse 11 64 bit) to SM 9.33.

The first matter is that even if we applied correctly the patch for the server, when we search into the client the infos about server version, the 9.30 is still shown instead of the 9.33.(for this another tkt to hp support is already in progress).

The second one (for which I'm writing right now) is that if I try to apply the patch for applications (even if I already had the server at 9.33) I need a Windows client to do it... but I'm working on Linux server!

Is possible to upgrade on Linux systems? How can I pass the patchrel.unl without the sm client?

Hoping you'll can help me, I'm looking forward your kind response.

Thanks,

Daniele

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 2 of 4 (143 Views)

Re: upgrade 9.30 to 9.33

HI,

You are doing correct.
Seems you upgrade the RTE but not application.
For Linux, yes if any vendor provides the application for particular OS then path for upgrade wil also be there, if exists for windows or any other OS.

You have to open the window client on your desktop. Before that change the setting of sm client in menu->Window-> Preferences Uncheck ‘Client side load/Unload’ option.

Now exit and login to sm server to be upgrade and provide the path manually instead browsing like ‘/opt/HPSM/patch’

Then load it, that’s all

Or otherwise copy this file to your desktop and then load in normal way by enabling ‘Client side load/Unload’.
But it is not recommended due to performance and to avoid any network intermittent failure issues.

To upgrade RTE: You need to uncompress the upgrade utility patch files and replace the existing SM9.30 installation files in RUN folder. Follow the guide comes with it
To upgrade full Application : You have to upload and resolve the conflicts on test system . This is done by Application Patch Manager. Follow upgrade guide for same. This is little complicated and required good understanding of SM.

Hth,
Please use plain text.
Visitor
DanieleBSC
Message 3 of 4 (91 Views)

Thank you Piku!!! You've been very useful :)

The patchrel.unl started to be imported to SM Server through my own Windows client now. The only matter is that, after it suggests me to disable IR and set the sessiontimeout to 60 and then shows the future version of SM Applications (now 9.30, after 9.33), after 3 minutes it stops its action by telling that many errors occurred:

Unrecoverable error in application: sm.patchrel.wizard on panel log.init.clean
Unrecoverable error in application: se.call.process on panel call.rad.1
Unrecoverable error in application: wizard.run on panel call.init.process
unable to open connection (sm.patchrel.log.init)

This last row is written twice.
As I wrote, it seems that the server migration didn't complete correctly (when we search into the client the infos about server version, the 9.30 is still shown instead of the 9.33). Could it be the reason of these fails? How can I solve this problem?

Really thanks again
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 4 of 4 (70 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Sorry, I missed one major step is that you have to copy the completed folder of patch which contains this .unl file since it contains the dbdict and other files to be loaded in system.
That is why it is giving error as it will write to log , details.log and other file in that folder.

Use one more parameter,
Prevent users from logging into your Service Manager server by running the quiesce command
from the operating system’s command prompt.
sm -quiesce:1

Will suggest to do import from server side only, as you now know how to do it.

First do it in test(production replica) and then apply custom upgrade on production. Follow the guide.

Hth,

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation