Re: macros parameters for sending email (587 Views)
Trusted Contributor
ALARMus
Message 1 of 9 (592 Views)

macros parameters for sending email

What is the difference between "Address in file" and "Operator in file" for email recipient ?

Honored Contributor
Audrey H.
Message 2 of 9 (590 Views)

Re: macros parameters for sending email

Hi,

If you select Operator in $file you would identify a field in record that is populated with an operator id and when the macro triggers the system goes out and gets the email address from thata operator's operator record.   Address in $file allows you to identify a field in the file that contains an actual email address and when the macro triggers the email address in that field is used.

Audrey

Trusted Contributor
ALARMus
Message 3 of 9 (587 Views)

That's mean i have to create new variable named 'Address' in incident (if macros must start when incident changed) to use this parametr ?
Honored Contributor
Audrey H.
Message 4 of 9 (585 Views)

Sorry, I don't understand why you think you would need to create a new variable.  Variables are not referenced in macros, only fields.

If you select Address in file in your macro, another drop-down field becomes visible and you can select any field in the record that you populate with an email address (for probsummary records we select contact.email for a few of our macros).  If you don't have and operator identified somewhere in the record that you want to send the email to (so you could use Operator in file) and you don't have an existing field that contains the email address that you want to send the email to when the macro triggers, then you would probably have to create a new field (variables cannot be used) to contain it.  You would then select the new field in the drop-down that appears after you have selected Address in file.

Audrey

Trusted Contributor
ALARMus
Message 5 of 9 (580 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you for answer.
But i don't understand what is Address in file mean.

For "Operator in file" i select drop-down field which must contain operator name, and when trigger is fires
the system look in file OPERATOR (operatorm1) and find operator id wich equel operator name and use email field from this operator record.
But what's happened for "Address in file" - there is no such file - "address" to look in it.

Honored Contributor
Audrey H.
Message 6 of 9 (577 Views)

Hi,

Address in file means that it's going to look for the actual email address in a field in the record.  For example, when I open an IM ticket in my environment, I populate and store information about my contact in my record.  I store the contact's first name, the contact's last name and contacts email address in my ticket.  So in my record the field are populated like this:

Field                         Populated with

first.name                Joe

last.name                User

contact.email          joe.user@mycompany.com

If I hypothetically wanted to send an email to my contact telling them that the ticket has been opened and assigned to a support group, I would select Address in file and then from the drop-down list of field I would select contact.email.  When the macro triggered, it would look in the contact.email field of my record and send the email to that address.

You would only use Address in file if you have a field in your record that is populated with the email address of the person you want to send an email to.

Audrey

Trusted Contributor
ALARMus
Message 7 of 9 (563 Views)

Thank you for good answer.
But i have next situation: I set "Address in file" (by mistake) and from drop-down list select 'coordinator.incident' wich contain operator name wich are coordinator of assignment group. And unclear why some mail is sent to the coordinators (not for all of them)
Honored Contributor
John Stagaman
Message 8 of 9 (552 Views)

Just wondering:

Why aren't you using the Notification Engine instead of Macros?

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
Trusted Contributor
ALARMus
Message 9 of 9 (546 Views)

Just because the notification Engine work only after changes were made in the form. In my case, changes to the table (probsummary) makes the scheduler.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.