Webservers: Tomcat vs. Apache (337 Views)
Frequent Advisor
tswann
Message 1 of 8 (337 Views)

Webservers: Tomcat vs. Apache

I am having a tough time understanding exactly what the advantages/disadvantages are to using Tomcat over Apache as the SM9 webserver (or vice versa).

My current working configuration is with Tomcat servering SM9, however I am moving to a PKI-enabled environment where our user base may grow significantly. The only disadvantage I have found on the forums (unsure if it is actually true) is someone mentioned Apache would be best for a larger user base.

In addition to my question about the advantages of one webserver over the other, I'd like to know if the number of SM9 users (operators) matters when it comes to which webserver I choose to use.

--------------------------------
Windows Server 2008 R2
Server Manager Server 9.30.021
Webtier-9.30.511
Apache Tomcat 7.0.22
Oracle 11g R1
--------------------------------

Thanks in advance for your help!

Valued Contributor
Kvark
Message 2 of 8 (333 Views)

Re: Webservers: Tomcat vs. Apache

IMHO, Tomcat for Windows, Apache for Linux
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=
In wine wisdom!
In the beer force!
In water, the microbes...
Honored Contributor
John Stagaman
Message 3 of 8 (320 Views)

They aren't the same thing: one is a web application server and the other is a web server. You need both components to deploy web tier.

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
Frequent Advisor
tswann
Message 4 of 8 (316 Views)

Thanks for your response John. Tomcat can serve web pages. I currently have a working SM9 environment using only the Tomcat webserver, not the Apache webserver. I am just curious when I would need Apache, if ever. I am sure there are advantages to using Apache, I just need to know what they are...and if I actually care about those advantages.

Honored Contributor
John Stagaman
Message 5 of 8 (309 Views)

[ Edited ]

My understanding is that, in a geographically dispersed system, it is beneficial to locate the web application server with the SM application server and the web servers regionally to the user population.

--The communication between the web application server and the web servers is highly compressed.

--the web server to browser communication is less compressed, so there is a benefit to splitting them.

This may not matter in a smaller deployment. 

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
Frequent Advisor
tswann
Message 6 of 8 (305 Views)

Thanks again, John. That makes sense. I am thinking that the relatively small size of my environment (<50 users, with everything residing on one server, with the exception of the db) lends well for the use of Tomcat...no issues thus far.

I would love to hear other folks' opinions on this, tho...

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor
jad
Message 7 of 8 (290 Views)

The only scenario in which I needed a web server (Apache or IIS) was for SSO implementation.

Respected Contributor
Kelalek2
Message 8 of 8 (281 Views)

[ Edited ]

I agree with Jad (and disagree with John Stagaman) - to implement a webtier, running Tomcat is enough to get the job done. Maybe John meant larger implemenations, but just wanted to tell another side of the story.

Like jad said, web server is needed for some purposes but it's not "must", especially for smaller implementations like you (and I) seem to have. 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.