Re: Want to run multiple instances of Service Manager on one server at the same time (770 Views)
Honored Contributor
Audrey H.
Message 1 of 11 (782 Views)

Want to run multiple instances of Service Manager on one server at the same time

Hi,

Has anyone successfully run more than one instance of Service Manager on the same server at the same time, and can you tell me how you did it?

We are currently on SM7.01 but involved in an upgrade to SM9.30, so we want to be able to try this for both versions.  I had no problems installing different instances/versions and they startup and run fine if each instance is the only one running, but when I try to start both of them at the same time, only the one that is started first starts up completely successfully.  When the second instance starts up, none of the background processes start successfully.  I can still login, but only my login, the threadcontroller and a coupld of empty lines with PIDs etc are there.

- I installed each instance in it's own folder

- I used different service names

- I used different port numbers in the sm.cfg and sm.ini

Have I overlooked something, or is this just not possible?  Any info or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Audrey

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
-m-
Message 2 of 11 (776 Views)

Re: Want to run multiple instances of Service Manager on one server at the same time

SM servlets use UDP multicasting to communicate with each other. Have you specified the "group" parameters to ensure there is no crosstalk? At the very least, implement the groupport parameter with a unique port in each sm.ini file.

Did the sm.log files contain any messages or errors? Did tracing the startup provide any additional information?

If the plan is to run these concurrently as Production systems, make sure to contact HP to ensure:

- the configuration of running multiple systems will be supported

- Licensing provides an exception/extension to run the 7.01 system after upgrading to 9.30

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
wriegels
Message 3 of 11 (770 Views)

Re: Want to run multiple instances of Service Manager on one server at the same time

Hi Audrey,

try to add following line in each sm.ini:

groupPort:13080  (the port, you used for system:)

In my installations i use normally:

system:13080

httpPort:13080

groupPort:13080  

and for the second Server Instance

system:13180

httpPort:13180

GroupPort:13180

without Parameter GroupPort i had found in log entries like "port is already in Use"

I am using this parameter only in sm.ini, not in sm.cfg and have no problems since 3 years

hth

Wilfried

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
wriegels
Message 4 of 11 (766 Views)

sorry, I had not realized, that -m- gave the answer before.
I use my entries in test-environments only. On Production Server we have only 1 instance.
@-m-: you said, use groupPort "with a unique port". Does it mean, that same port for system and groupPort might cause problems?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
ramesh9
Message 5 of 11 (741 Views)

It is possible and here is what I do,

1.   Create different DB instances for SM 7.01 and SM 9.30

2.   Install SM server for SM 7.01 and use a different port say 15080 and connect to DB instance for 7.01

3.   Install SM server for SM 9.30 in different folder and use a different port say 16080 and connect to DB instance for 9.30

4.   Start both servers

5.   Install SM 7.01 client and connect to port 15080

6.   Install SM 9.30 client and connect to port 16080

Note : You cannot start 2 clients at the same time, so I suggest you to start 1 client and then use it for connecting to another SM server say 9.30. However you can install 2 clients in different desktops and connect at the same time.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 6 of 11 (736 Views)

Hi,

I never heard so but if Ramesh has used then it means it is possible.
I suppose you can connect to two different instances from a single machine using window client.
You have to create new connection in SM windows client by File-> Connections ,here pass the parameters required.

hth,
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
-m-
Message 7 of 11 (730 Views)

It is possible to run multiple servers and multiple clients at the same time. A previous post can be viewed here, but the relevant excerpt is below:

Example:

config.ini for 9.21 client:

# The default workspace location
osgi.instance.area.default=C:/SM921/Client/configu​ration/workspace

# The default configuration location
osgi.configuration.area=C:/SM921/Client/configurat​ion/configuration

config.ini for 9.30 client:

# The default workspace location
osgi.instance.area.default=C:/SM930/Client/configu​ration/workspace

# The default configuration location
osgi.configuration.area=C:/SM930/Client/configurat​ion/configuration

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Audrey H.
Message 8 of 11 (699 Views)

Hi,

Adding the groupPort parameter did not seem to do anything.  I'm not sure if it is significant, but my 7.01 instance is vertically scaled.  In a vertically scaled environment the httpPort and httpsPort parameters are defined in the sm.cfg and are commented out in the sm.ini, so I only had the following:

system:13080

groupPort:13080

system:13092

httpPort:13092

httpsPort:13455

groupPort:13092

Anyway, when I started my 7.01 instance with the groupPort parameter in the sm.ini it started fine, but I got a lot of messages in the log indicating "Option "groupPort" not recognized", so perhaps this parameter was introduced after 7.01.  When I started my 9.30 I got no messages about the groupPort parameter but it still did not start properly (no background processes started).  Any other ideas?

I have no plans to use this type of configuration for production, it is only for Dev.  During our upgrade it will be two different version but after we are in 9.30 in production, we may want to have an oob instance and our environment running at the same time and we can't really justify using a server exclusively to maintain an oob instance. Also, I have no problems running more than one client version. Although it's not configured exactly the same, I think I started from the same post -m- mentioned when configuring my multiple clients.

Thanks,

Audrey

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
-m-
Message 9 of 11 (692 Views)

[ Edited ]

To address the groupPort not recognized messages, make sure to specify the groupport parameter using all lowercase characters in the sm.ini file.

Example:

groupport:12345

If that doesn't solve both problems, the sm.log file should have errors related to the failed background process startup.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
James Herold
Message 10 of 11 (687 Views)

Audrey,

What is the hardware platform and OS?  I've done it successfully two ways in HP UX Unix and Linux Red Hat environments in a non-production situation.  I think the best way is to have separate owner accounts and set up an instance under each owner.  Another way is to have a separate file system for the second instance, although the messages will bleed into the other's log.  I think -m-'s suggestion for group will help here.

If you're on Windows, then I'd have no idea how to do it.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Audrey H.
Message 11 of 11 (661 Views)

Hi,

@ -m-,   Thank you.....Entering the groupport parameter in all lowercase eliminated the errors in the sm.log on start up of my 7.01 instance.

@ James,  We are on Windows 2003 Enterprise x64 sp2

Initially after changing the groupport parameter to all lowercase, I still had the problem of the backgound processes not starting when I started v9.30, but then I started my 9.30 environment first and my 7.01 enviornment second and so far it seems to be running fine.  I will monitor the two environment and sm.log for  awhile to see if basic usage generate any errors, but hopefully this combination of settings and start order have resolved the issue.  Thanks for your help.

Audrey

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation