Re: Question Regarding User License Consumption in HP Service Manager (492 Views)
Regular Advisor
Yafet_1
Message 1 of 10 (573 Views)

Question Regarding User License Consumption in HP Service Manager

You know, there are 2 types of license for user in SM
1.    Named User License (for HP SM operator) or Floating User License.
- This license is for whoever requires an access to HP SM as an operator for a certain role (could be incident manager, problem, change, approver, etc)

2.    ESS (for non-HP SM operator)
- This licence is for those who require access to self-Service portal.

Now, let's say my customer purchased 25 named user license and 1000 ESS user license.

And in order to tell HP SM who gets access to 25 named user, we tick “Named User License” checkbox under Operator user.

But how do we tell HP SM which user gets access to self-service portal, when my customer purchased 1000 ESS user license but they have 1100 LDAP users in total. This means 100 users won't get access.
How do we tell HP SM which contact will consume self-service user license?

Do we check “Requires Entitlement” checkbox for each user whom do we want to have access to self-service portal under Contacts?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 2 of 10 (558 Views)

Re: Question Regarding User License Consumption in HP Service Manager

ESS license should be floating so SM will allow at max 1000 user concurrently on first come first server basis.

hth,
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Stagaman
Message 3 of 10 (546 Views)

[ Edited ]

ESS licensing is unlimited with the Foundation license. 

Have you additionally licensed either the ESS Service Catalog or ESS Knowledge Management components? These are licensed base potential users (it is neither a named nor floating license model, but is based on the total number of users who will have the capability to access those modules). If not, there is not a limit for ESS access. 

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Yafet_1
Message 4 of 10 (534 Views)

Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply, it now gives me an understanding how the ESS licensing works.

But another question is, when you go to "Contacts" , you will see "Requires Entitlement" checkbox right? so...what is this?

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Yafet_1
Message 5 of 10 (533 Views)

additional info,
Our ESS user license bought is this:

1000 | TE003AAE | HP SM KM ESS Usr SW E-LTU
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Jas1
Message 6 of 10 (529 Views)

If you select that field and click on help, it will display this, "If selected (set to true), indicates that the ticket should be checked for Service Entitlement (service level agreement) prior to being worked."

I am not sure what it means in terms of licensing. I suspect it may mean Service Level Management license may be utilised for this contact. You will have to check the license count via sm -reportlic to confirm if this contact record will invoke a SLM license.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Stagaman
Message 7 of 10 (513 Views)

[ Edited ]

Service Entitlement is unrelated to licensing. 

If you are a multi-tentant provider, a customer may be contractually entitled to N-support calls per period their contract. The entitlement controls allow calls for customers from that company to be tracked against contract entitlements. If a customer exceeds their entitlement either they are not eligible for service or must pay for each additional call.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Stagaman
Message 8 of 10 (510 Views)

[ Edited ]

As you your licenseing:

You have unlimited seats for ESS trouble ticketing (not Service Request Catalog or KM)

You purchased 1000 ESS licenses for Self Service Knowledge access. Normally that would mean that the total audience of people with access to ESS who can potentially conduct a knowledge search must be no more than 1000 users. 

--It doesn't matter if they don't ever actually log in; it's that they have the capablity to log in.

--the licenses are fairly inexpesive.

--It is not a floating or named license.

Since you have 1100 potential ESS users, I see two options:

1. You are under-licensed.

2. You would need to design your ESS menus and access to only allow a subset of operators (totally no more than 1,000) to access KM via self service.

I don't know if the second option is a supported ESS licensing option or not. I'd have to punt this to HP to get the answer to that. Additionally, if you are using the SRC interface for self-service, I don't know if you can limit KM access for only some users.

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Yafet_1
Message 9 of 10 (498 Views)

Hi John,

Thanks for your explanation.

My licenses are:

1            T4247AAE    HP Cnct Base Connectors SW E-LTU
1            T5001EAE    HP SM 9.30 English SW E-Media
1            T5012AAE    HP SM KM Search Engine 2.0 SW E-Media
1000    T5029AAE    HP SM Catalog ESS Usr SW E-LTU
1            T9390AAE    HP UCMDB Free Entitlement SW E-LTU
1            T9496AAE    HP SM Starter Suite Nmd Usr SW E-LTU
25         TE002AAE    HP SM KM Nmd Usr SW E-LTU
1000    TE003AAE    HP SM KM ESS Usr SW E-LTU

and i dig a little bit further down, it's said...

Enterprise Self Service licensing

There are three modules that provide Enterprise Self-Service Access to users: Self-Service Ticketing (SST), Enterprise Self-Service Knowledge (ESS KM) and Service Catalog (ESS CAT).

• Self-Service Ticketing is unlimited and included with Helpdesk. There are no restrictions on this license other than it must be utilized through Service Manager.

• ESS KM is sold on a named user basis.

• ESS CAT is sold on a named user basis.

Also, I have done found a knowledge document as below:

As per the details available with us :

1 named user of Enterprise suite comes along with 1000 ESS Catalog license along with other modules

So if customer has purchased 25 names users, does he get 25000 ESS Catalog user licenses?

Response

They will be entitled to the cumulative total, so yes 25,000.

Do i have enough licenses for my users to use ESS?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Stagaman
Message 10 of 10 (492 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK. This can get confusing.

From your license listing, you have:

1,000 SM ESS Service Catalog Licenses.

1,000 SM ESS Knowledge Managment Licenses.

The documentation relating to the Enterprise Suite relates to how your licensing was purchased. You don't appear to have purchased 25 Enterprise Suite licenses: it looks like you instead bought an SM Starter Suite  (which does not include the same things as Enterprise Suite licenses). Somewhere there is a document that says how many seats and to what else is included in your HP Starter Suite Named User package. I think that the Starter Suite includes 25 Named licenses for Foundation, Help Desk (SD/IM/PM), Change Management, and SLM (the fact you've licensed 25 seats for KM makes me think that the Stater Suite did give you 25 seats, as the KM license count must match your help desk module license count). But check with your HP Sales representative to confirm. I do not generally sell or configure licensing packages, so I'm not up to date on this.

On your production system with your production license keys installed, what license counts does the sm -reportlic command show?  (you run that command from the RUN directory from command line (run command line in admin mode if necessary). That will show your actual entitlement.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation