Re: Problem Management Candidate checkbox being set automatically (107 Views)
Frequent Advisor
tony kelman-smith
Message 1 of 3 (146 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problem Management Candidate checkbox being set automatically

Does anyone know where the Problem Management Candidate checkbox in the Incident record gets set automatically?

We are using SM9.3 (OOB) and have started to implement the Problem Management module but are not using it yet. However, when I use the View "Open Problem Management Candidate" or search on Incidents with PM candidate checked I get lots of tickets in the listings.

I've confirmed with the operators managing the tickets that they haven't deliberately clicked the checkbox and the majority of tickets with this checked are ones that have been auto-closed by our Event Management tool.

I suspect that there is a Format Control or Link condition somewhere that is setting this but haven't found it yet.

Any suggestions where I might look?

Thanks Experts

Rgds, Tony

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jacob Heubner
Message 2 of 3 (116 Views)

Re: Problem Management Candidate checkbox being set automatically

Take a look at the probsummary formatctrl record.

There's a line there that sets a variable based on the value of the prob.mgmt.candidate field in the operators' Incident profile.

Within the probsummary link record, on the resolution.code linkline, there's a post-link expression that sets the value of the prob.mgmt.candidate field within the Incident ticket based on the resolution code you're using, if the operator has that ability within their profile.

I think the logic is, if you've got IM tickets that are closed by a Workaround - the issue wasn't solved, you've just given the user steps to deal with the issue - that the ticket is a good candidate for the Problem Management team to take a look at and determine whether the issue can be solved so that users stop having to use the workaround, or that you can publish a Known Error so users can do the workaround themselves without having to call the helpdesk.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
tony kelman-smith
Message 3 of 3 (107 Views)

Re: Problem Management Candidate checkbox being set automatically

Outstanding  !

Thanks Jacob.  That's exactly where it's set.

if ($probmgmt.candidate and resolution.code in $File="Solved by Workaround") then (prob.mgmt.candidate in $File=true) else (prob.mgmt.candidate in $File=false)

Now that I know that I'll make a decision as to whether we want to live with it, remove it, or modify it, but at least we know where to look and the logic for why it's there.

Thank you for such a clear and prompt response.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation