Re: Notification not being triggered (404 Views)
Frequent Advisor
tony kelman-smith
Message 1 of 9 (500 Views)
Accepted Solution

Notification not being triggered

Can someone point out where I'm going wrong? If I add a line to OOB IM_Close, along with all the other lines in there, it works. If I put EXACTLY the same line in a seperate Notification Definition it doesn't work. It there any way I can see if the seperate notification is being triggered, and if it isn't being triggered do I need to be doing something to get new notification definitions to start being used? Thanks Tony
Honored Contributor
John Stagaman
Message 2 of 9 (489 Views)

Re: Notification not being triggered

What is the name of your new notification definition? What is the condition for the definition?

Can you attach a screen shot?

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
Honored Contributor
Audrey H.
Message 3 of 9 (469 Views)

Hi,

In some versions of SM the services need to be restarted (or at least the problem process) for notification changes to take effect.  Also, if this notification is an email, then each message line needs a corresponding Email Subject Line row added.

Audrey

Trusted Contributor
lwvirden
Message 4 of 9 (465 Views)

> [...] in a seperate Notification Definition [...]

So, what is the process of associating a new notification definition with a specific event?

For instance "IM Close" is associated with the closing of an incident ticket.

Is this "seperate Notification Definition" already associated with an event, or is it something new you have created and which now needs to be associated with an event?

Occasional Advisor
JanetLC
Message 5 of 9 (456 Views)

IM_Close or IM Close? You can have multiple records for the same notification name, but each must have a different ID. If this is also a close notification, the name should be IM Close, the ID should be unique (e.g. Fred IM Close) and the condition must be true or evaluate to true.

Make sure this is all correct and that you haven't overridden the OOB usage in the Object record (Notifications tab).

Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 6 of 9 (439 Views)

Hi Tony,

You have copied all the stuff but did you change the notification name at the place where it was calling.
You have to ensure that it must be called, normally it is defined in respective object record, and here will be probsummary object record. So if you find notification named ‘IM_Close’ mentioned in ‘notification’ tab (for delete) then replace it with your new one.

To check the triggering of notification you have to run the rad trace.

hth,
Message 7 of 9 (419 Views)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

As requested, I've added a couple of screenshots

• IM Close - this is the OOB notification with my line added. This works
  • IM Close HN - this the one that isn't working

I think these answer all the points asked. The only thing I haven't done which was suggested was stopping and restarting the service.

Is my Notification Definition missing something?

Thanks,

Tony

FYI...the reason I want a seperate notification, and not just add lines to IM Close,  is this will have multiple destinations that I'll maintain in one place as people are added or removed from the need to be notified. At the moment I'm only using one destination to prove it's working

Honored Contributor
John Stagaman
Message 8 of 9 (404 Views)

[ Edited ]

There is no application call for your new IM CloseP2 HN; to add a new notification definition at closure, it should still be called IM Close and it will be called automaticaly by the current code.

Rename it to IM Close (identical to the oob version) but leave the ID as IM Closep2 HD_1. 

Add the condition of true or a condition which would be valid for every notification in this definition (each IM Close must have a different condition to comply with the OOB key constraints): here you could just move the severity in $L.file="2" expression to the upper condition field.

For example, in a Multi-Company system, you could have an IM Close notification definition for each customer, making it easier to maintain definitions for each company.

Name              ID                                 Condition

IM Close    IM_Close_A        company in $L.file="ACME"

IM Close    IM_Close_B        company in $L.file="SPACELY SPROCKETS"

IM Close    IM_Close_C        company in $L.file="COGSWELL COGS"

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
Frequent Advisor
tony kelman-smith
Message 9 of 9 (381 Views)

Thanks John.

This is exactly what I was looking for and I now understand a bit better about setting up Notification Definitions. I hadn't appreciated that the name IM Close could be used multiple times (as long as ID is unique)

Thanks too, to all the other posts. When I re-read them I can see that they were all pointing me in the same direction.

Cheers,
Tony
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.