Mouse and Keyboard Event capture in Service Manager (206 Views)
Frequent Advisor
SRIDHARDSV
Message 1 of 9 (206 Views)

Mouse and Keyboard Event capture in Service Manager

Hi Experts,

Greetings!,

Do we have any option to capture the mouse and Keyboard event in Service Manager ? .  Please help me.

Consider a scenario, - If I enter a message a to a text box and I moved to next text box, then I need to perform an action in between the mouse or keyboard Event.

Help on this is highly appreciated. Thank you

Honored Contributor
Jacob Heubner
Message 2 of 9 (194 Views)

Re: Mouse and Keyboard Event capture in Service Manager

Can you explain a scenario where you'd need to monitor where the mouse goes, or what other keyboard keys have been pressed?  What exactly is your business requirement?  What are you trying to accomplish?

Honored Contributor
John Stagaman
Message 3 of 9 (175 Views)

[ Edited ]

You can configure a data changed event to execute if you modify a field value and then move out of that field (tabbing or selecting another field). Depending on the latency from your server, though, it sometimes isn't the quickest.

It's done by defining a display option to execute the desired function. Then, in the properties for the form object that you want to tie the event to, you enter the display option gui id in the data changed event property.

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
Honored Contributor
Jacob Heubner
Message 4 of 9 (170 Views)

John - do text fields have the data changed event?  I thought that was just on ComboBox and ComFill

Frequent Advisor
SRIDHARDSV
Message 5 of 9 (162 Views)

Hi Experts,

Thanks for the suggestions.

We are having the Data changed Event for Comfill and Dropdown's, not for the text boxes. Let me explain the scenario below,

If we enter a value in the textbox and moving out of the text box, I need to perform an search action to the particular table based on the text box value.  Need your help to get that accomplish. Kindly let me know for further details.

Thank you

Honored Contributor
Jacob Heubner
Message 6 of 9 (156 Views)

Why do you need to automatically perform the search? Is this for a validation? Is this to populate other data in the form? And why the need to automate this as soon as the user enters a value, rather than (say) on Save, or when the user clicks the Fill or Find?

HPSM is an event-driven system. It expects the user to do things, and will respond to what the user does. I once had a BA who wanted to redesign how it works... She felt that, rather than have validations occur when the record saves, validations should occur as soon as the user enters a value... It sounds like you're looking for the same thing - as soon as the user enters a value, the system should tell them if that value is ok.

That's not really how a validation works... A validation checks when the record saves...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do, but what it sounds like you're trying to do is make the system work in a way it was never intended. You can try - and you'll have some success - but you're going against how the system is designed to work - with users performing actions and the system responding to those actions.

Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 7 of 9 (129 Views)

Here I have one question you said initiate search when moving out of the text box, so in case user needs to put values in more than one boxes, then how system will identify when to search ?
As soon as user will try to put value in second box, system will return in search results.
Message 8 of 9 (112 Views)

Hi Experts,

Thank you very much for the replies.

Please refer the below additional information,

This is not for a validation, It is like, when the user enters a incident information and moved out of the description box, the search needs to be performed in the probsummary table to find the already created incidents with the same description, hence the people can use that solution.

I hope I have answered all the points.. Kindly let us know for further details. Thank you

Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 9 of 9 (104 Views)

Hi,

Then you must enable the incident matching option from operator profiles of users. By this SM will auto show the possible related tickets of same kind. It is exact reason of design of this incident match option. It will use the IR key concept to search.

Also you are asking for search on description will lead to long and in efficient query and system will perform too slow if implemented. Here you will also have a challenge to what to search since description use to contains lots of data and if you go for each word the it will be huge performance impact and not practical. In case of you go for each line or full data search then again it will not be practical and will be almost zero chance to get the similar incidents.

hth,