Re: MSSQL database cluster failover causes issues in Service Manager (423 Views)
Honored Contributor
Audrey H.
Message 1 of 5 (472 Views)
Accepted Solution

MSSQL database cluster failover causes issues in Service Manager

Hi,

We are running SM9.3 (horizontally scaled), connected to an MS SQL Enterprise 2008 R2 database cluster.  Our ODBC configurations on the application servers point to one database name and although my knowledge of the database setup is limited, my understanding is that transparantly in the background is the cluster.  When the cluster we are attached to goes down, the expectation is that all connections will be transferred to the 2nd cluster transparently.  Can anyone tell me if this is how it is suppose to behave, or are my expectations unrealistic?

When one of our database clusters was down after a reboot of the server to apply an OS patch, the System Status screen did not show any loss of background processes or give any indication there was anything wrong, but errors start appearing in the log and schedule records associated with the background processes (report, problem, linker, etc) stopped getting processed and started filling up the schedule file.  We had to restart services to get the schedule records to start processing again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or have thoughts on a solution?  Are there special settings, or configurations in the database, or the Service Manager application, or the ODBC connection, or perhaps even the SQL Native Client used for the odbc connection that are specific to this issue, that we may have overlooked?  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Audrey

Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 2 of 5 (433 Views)

Re: MSSQL database cluster failover causes issues in Service Manager

Hi,

I suppose it all due to issue in db cluster and yes connection from one node should be transparently transferred to other node in cluster, in case one node gores down.
It should be handled by your DBA.

hth,
Message 3 of 5 (427 Views)

Hi Piku,

Thanks for the response.  Our database cluster has more than our Service Manager application associated with it and our DBA has told me that all other applications failover as expected, with no issues.  He is investigating on the database side also, but I want to investigate on the Service Manager side to find out if there are any special setting required for Service Manager to reconnect after database failover, or if all setting are on the database side and are just common database cluster failover settings, with none of them being specific to Service Manager.

Audrey

Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 4 of 5 (425 Views)

Hi Audrey,

Fialover means just either DB or application.
So here if you DB node goes down then it is DB responsibility how to tackle it and how to route the traffic to best possible node in cluster (db cluster). Here i feel connection will auto switched to working node without loss of connection to SM application to user.
When you talks about SM failover ,it means when your one of the node on which SM is running goes down then all the new connections should be automatically route to new node by SM lb. Existing connections on down node would be lapsed (i suppose) , user need to reconnect to continue.

Not aware if there wold be any settings from SM side to deal with DB cluster as it should be controlled by defined DB procedures at DB end.

hope it is clear.

hth,
Message 5 of 5 (423 Views)

Hi Piku,

Thanks for the information above.

Audrey

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.