Re: Is it possible to upgrade straight from 7.x to 9.x without intermediate steps? (425 Views)
Trusted Contributor
lwvirden
Message 1 of 10 (430 Views)

Is it possible to upgrade straight from 7.x to 9.x without intermediate steps?

The upgrade process for HPSM seems pretty daunting to someone who has never been through it yet. It would be much less concerning if one could go straight from 7.x to 9.32 without having to go to an older 9.x version first then upgrade right away to 9.32.

So far, we have not found a reference to such an upgrade.

Are we missing something, or are we really going to have to do 2 upgrades, with extra intermediate machines, to get this thing done?

As Lucy said more than once, "Good grief, Charlie Brown!"

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
mpatrikov
Message 2 of 10 (425 Views)

Re: Is it possible to upgrade straight from 7.x to 9.x without intermediate steps?

Hi,

I am most certain that this is written in the installation/upgrade guides how you can upgrade from SM 7.x to SM 9.x.

If I am not mistaken, the flow is the following:

SM 7.0x -> SM 7.1x -> SM 9.30 -> SM 9.32 (not sure if you can go directly from SM 7.1x to SM 9.32)

Still, if you get to 9.30, it shouldn't be much of a hassle to upgrade to 9.32.

It is important to know that if you are planing on installing Process Designer or any other pack on SM 9.30 with different application patches, you should find the KM article which states the exact order of applying the patches in order to avoid overwritten newer fixes.

Best Regards,

Miro

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
viprom
Message 3 of 10 (415 Views)

Re: Is it possible to upgrade straight from 7.x to 9.x without intermediate steps?

[ Edited ]

Hey,

This is the 9.32 - 7.1x upgrade guide: http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00491780

Take a look at it.

Hope it helps.

-----
If you find this or other posts helpful, please do not forget to click the Kudo Star or to mark it as a Solution if you are the owner of the thread. Thanks :)
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 4 of 10 (411 Views)

You can go directly to 7.x to 9.3x

hth,
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
lwvirden
Message 5 of 10 (390 Views)

This is very helpful.

This document mentions installing 9.32 from a CD-ROM.

I am uncertain where to get that CD-ROM. We took a look at the hp support site and the My Software Updates page and there was no download for 9.32 - only 9.30. When I look at the HP service manager product page, the trial version of HP SM is 9.20.

That's the reason I was asking my question. I would prefer not installing 9.20 or 9.30, upgrading to our customizations, then going through the whole thing again for 9.32. The preference is to install 9.32, upgrade to our customizations, and cut the elapsed time to upgrade.

The document you provided clearly indicates that there is in fact a package containing 9.32 that can be used for the initial install.

Does anyone have a suggestion how I obtain a copy of 9.32?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
lwvirden
Message 6 of 10 (389 Views)

[ Edited ]

mpatrikov, thank you very much for taking the time to write a response.

Your article points out the approach that I would prefer to avoid. Trying to go through multiple merge steps to get our currently running production system from 7.1 to 9.32 will, I am concerned, introduce more potential problems (particularly relating to sequencing patches, etc.), and even if no problems occur, extends the length of time it takes us to get to the point of being ready to switch production to the new version.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
mpatrikov
Message 7 of 10 (379 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

If we talking about RTE, the path is the following:

7.1x -> 9.30 -> 9.32

I believe 9.32 is like a patch to 9.30 so most of the files come from the 9.30 installation. This is the easier part than upgrading Apps no matter how many patches you have to apply. :)

App Side:

7.1x -> 9.32

Less steps to upgrade App side but it is still a hassle if you have many customizations.

Keep in mind that you have to upgrade RTE first before the App side.

Best Regards,
Miro

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
mpatrikov
Message 8 of 10 (376 Views)

A quick follow up - this is taken from the Release Notes of 9.32:

Upgrade Paths
This server patch must be applied on top of one of the following versions/patch levels of the
SM server:
l SM9.30 GA
l SM9.30 Patch/Hotfix
l SM9.31
l SM 9.31 Patch/Hotfix
The following server upgrade paths are recommended:
l New customers: Install the SM9.30 GA server, and then directly apply the 9.32 server patch;
l Existing SC6.2, SM7.11 and 9.21 customers: Uninstall the old server, install the SM9.30 GA
server, and then apply the 9.32 server patch;
l Existing SM9.30 or 9.31 customers: Apply the 9.32 server patch.

Best Regards,

Miro

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Stagaman
Message 9 of 10 (365 Views)

[ Edited ]

There is no media to directly install 9.32, nor can 9.32 be installed without first installing 9.30.

9.32 is a patch release and must be installed on top of 9.30. The patch can be downloaded from support, as can the complete 9.30 ISO. 

You do not have to "upgrade your customizations" at each level. You can do it once after you are at level 9.32. 

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
lwvirden
Message 10 of 10 (324 Views)

I am confused as to why KM00491780 states, explicitly, that one starts with the 9.32 cd-rom then.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation