Re: Interactions Autoclose after 72 hours in resolved status (486 Views)
Advisor
omarelalfy
Message 1 of 14 (659 Views)
Accepted Solution

Interactions Autoclose after 72 hours in resolved status

Gents,

anyway I can perform the above mentioned without having to put in and scripts.

I want to perform it on the process in order to not degrade the performance as the script checks all the interactions table every time it runs .. I need a more efficient way to do it without having to query a table on fixed interval I want it simply to be in the closure process and to be triggered by the incident closing so it will change the interaction status to resolved and count 72 hrs then close the interaction.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,

Omar.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 2 of 14 (625 Views)

Re: Interactions Autoclose after 72 hours in resolved status

Hi,

Interaction should be auto close if using the environment record of service desk.
You should click the "close interaction when related records closes."

hth,
Please use plain text.
Advisor
omarelalfy
Message 3 of 14 (617 Views)

exactly when the incident is closed .. what triggers the closure process and what is the process?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jacob Heubner
Message 4 of 14 (607 Views)

Ok, I'm not sure if you're asking the right question.

Interactions don't have a "Resolved" status. Interactions have the following Statuses - Open, Open - Linked, Open - Idle, Closed.

In HPSM, the idea is, a user calls in with an issue. The Service Desk technician opens an Interaction to help resolve the issue (status in the SD is Open). Technician works with that user and can solve the problem over the phone, and closes the Interaction (status in the SD is Closed).

If the tech can't solve the issue, they are supposed to escalate the Interaction to an Incident. The status of the Interaction is Open - Linked. The Incident lifecycle starts here.

If for some reason the Interaction is not closed or escalated, you'd see the status as Open - Idle, to indicate that you've got an Interaction that no one is working on.

So, you're asking how to auto close Interactions where the status is "Resolved".... you can't, because the Interaction never has a Resolved status.

Now, if you're asking for a way to auto-close the INCIDENT and by extension, the related Interaction when the Incident closes, when the Incident has been Resolved for 72 hours, and you don't want to do it via schedule record with a script, you can do it with an alert, or manually create your own schedule record using Javascript in the probsummary formatctrl record.

Though If you have an auto-close javascript that isn't filtering on IM tickets that are in the Resolved status, then I'd say you built it wrong. If your background scheduler runs with a query like:

problem.status="Resolved" and resolved.time<tod() - '3 00:00:00'

That shouldn't be an inefficient query...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
omarelalfy
Message 5 of 14 (595 Views)

Jacob,

thanks for your reply.

I m afraid your explanation is a bit out dated .. As the new SM 9.32 with the process designer doesn't have the OPEN OPEN IDLE OPEN LINKED .. etc , you have to read about the new workflow for Service Desk which provides new set of statuses including resolved and the front liners or the first line can now assign tickets within the first line and close it without even having to escalate it.

Download the 9.32 process BP its 435 pages and update all the SM concepts that you have.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jacob Heubner
Message 6 of 14 (589 Views)

heh - I'd rather not.

I'll stick with what I know until I get a business case for doing it differently.

Just because process designer can do it differently doesn't necessarily mean it should be done differently.  Heck, you can make new statuses in SM in any version - you don't need 9.32 for that.

The post itself is still useful; if you don't want to use a background scheduler to search for tickets in whatever status that got there after whatever time (neither of which should be an inefficient query) then you can use alerts.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
omarelalfy
Message 7 of 14 (587 Views)

actually performance wise using a query is not efficient at all even if your query is objective, when the records reach a certain count it slows the systes, i was thinking of editing in the process which calls the interaction to resolve.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
omarelalfy
Message 8 of 14 (585 Views)

in addition i m not a script like.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jacob Heubner
Message 9 of 14 (580 Views)

well, we've got over 6 million incidents, and so far, we haven't seen a performance hit on the queries we're running against the incidents table for records that are open - idle past a certain point.

But, like I said, if you don't want to use that kind of query, set up alert processing. The issue isn't the Process that closes Interactions - that process only gets called when the SD is closing. What you want is to set up something so that the system will automatically run that process after X number of hours has passed.

If you modify the close Process, that won't help you achieve your objective, because that process will only get called when your record is closing.

Alerts, however, can be evaluated when the record saves - however the record saves. That adds a schedule record to the schedule table to run the processes defined in the alert after the expiration of the alert.

So you could create an alert record that runs when the record is resolved to add a schedule record with an expiration of 3 days out. When the operator resolves the Interaction record, the system creates your schedule record, and, in 3 days, when the schedule time has expired, that schedule record processes and performs the actions defined in the alert. No need to re-invent the wheel to do something the system is already designed to do.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Stagaman
Message 10 of 14 (568 Views)

[ Edited ]

I m afraid your explanation is a bit out dated .. As the new SM 9.32 with the process designer doesn't have the OPEN OPEN IDLE OPEN LINKED .. etc , you have to read about the new workflow for Service Desk which provides new set of statuses including resolved and the front liners or the first line can now assign tickets within the first line and close it without even having to escalate it.

Download the 9.32 process BP its 435 pages and update all the SM concepts that you have.

You never provided version information, did not mention that you are using Process Designer for IIP, and then you make this absolutely rude comment and still expect help? Very few customers are on 9.32 yet and far fewer have even started looking at Process Designer for Help Desk (which is an optional install completely), so maybe in the future it might be good to mention it right away.

Fortunately for you, being rude doesn't exclude you from getting help: as Jacob indicated, you can configure Alerts to complete the closure.

Note that auto-closure of the interaction from the related incident is executed via the Workflow level workflow background actions, and checks the service desk closure model selected in the SD environment. You may need to select a closure model which does not auto-close to disable the OOB method and then replace it with your custom code to configure an alert to close after 72 hours. The easiest way to do this would likely be to change the status of the interaction from "Dispatched" to another value (or move to another phase) and tie the alert scheduling to that status change/phase transition.

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
omarelalfy
Message 11 of 14 (548 Views)

Dear John,

I think you got my words wrong through your narrow mind, as i was implying to the new processes with anger .. And never to mention that i don't think Jacob took it as you did as because he jumped into conclusion that i don't know SM without asking the version.

And actually i think that the process designer is just an option as it is what all customers were looking forward to, anyway this is a matter of personal opinion.

Jacob .. Correct me if you took my words insulting please.

finally this is not a social forum that you can curse people, wish this forum had a report tab.

Thanks guys for your help.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Stagaman
Message 12 of 14 (536 Views)

[ Edited ]

Just a few points regarding the closure automation:

--The simplest method would probably be to set up an alert in the phase where the resolved Interaction is held (out of box, this is "Review") and add an automated transition to execute the move to the closure phase after the alert updates the record (e.g. changes the status or some other field value).

--You could also invoke the manual transition when the alert runs, but I don't have information at the moment that explains how to do that. 

--The closure wizard already is suppressed for a background close, so it shouldn't be a problem to model a background/automated transition from the alert on the existing manual transition.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
omarelalfy
Message 13 of 14 (496 Views)

Gents,

I tried this approach and the thing is the notify by field is set to email by default as per the business requirements, so when the incident is closed it automatically closes the interaction it doesn't pass by the review phase.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,

Omar.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Stagaman
Message 14 of 14 (486 Views)

The automated closure is executed by the workflow background actions defined at the workflow level. You would need to repalce the out of box workflow actions to no longer close the interaction at incident closure and instead set it in the Review phase/Resolved status then schedule the alert for automated closure. 

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation