Re: Importing CIs into SM 7.11 (1016 Views)
Advisor
Tuthu
Message 1 of 13 (1,075 Views)
Accepted Solution

Importing CIs into SM 7.11

Hello, I urgently need some assistance on how I can import hundreds of CI details into SM. I've looked for a way but I've been unsuccessfully. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Trusted Contributor
anatt170407
Message 2 of 13 (1,068 Views)

Re: Importing CIs into SM 7.11

Use the Text import wizard, this option is available when you go to the Database Manager screen

Advisor
Tuthu
Message 3 of 13 (1,062 Views)

anatt170407 wrote:

Use the Text import wizard, this option is available when you go to the Database Manager screen

Thanks. I was able to get to the import text wizard. However, I still have problems importing because I get the error 'The file being added contains all NULL keys(file.import.new,add)".  it looks like I need to import the items with keys. is there a way of doing that?

thanks

Valued Contributor
dv_3
Message 4 of 13 (1,048 Views)

Hi,
Do you have any CIs presently in your system?
also did you create an Import Descriptor?
TH@nks
dev
Advisor
Tuthu
Message 5 of 13 (1,045 Views)

dv_3 wrote:
Hi,
Do you have any CIs presently in your system?
also did you create an Import Descriptor?

Yes I created an import descriptor using the import wizard. when run it, I get the errors. unfortunately am new to this so it's the first time am creating one. Also, yes there are some CIs in the system currently.

Valued Contributor
dv_3
Message 6 of 13 (1,041 Views)

-Make sure you are not adding CIs which are already present
-i hope you are using an excel file to import, if yes, then make sure that it does not include any column header lines.
-also "Test" your import before actually doing it ..you can see a test button along side "proceed".
TH@nks
dev
Advisor
Tuthu
Message 7 of 13 (1,039 Views)

dv_3 wrote:
-Make sure you are not adding CIs which are already present
-i hope you are using an excel file to import, if yes, then make sure that it does not include any column header lines.
-also "Test" your import before actually doing it ..you can see a test button along side "proceed".

Hi thanks for the help but am still getting the errors (in bold below). firstly I tried importing from a txt file and then from a csv file but the errors I get are the same. Am adding completely new CIs so they don't exist.

Before running the import descriptor, I run the test and the results look okay to me (though being my first time it's hard for me to tell whether they are fine)

I've attached a document with screen shots of the steps I take including results of the test run. Please have a look and tell where am making mistakes.

Thanks again.

The record being added contains a NULL key (file.import.new,add)

file:(device) key:(logical.name=wkn2346) (file.import.new,add)

Key #11 is empty. (file.import.new,add)

Valued Contributor
dv_3
Message 8 of 13 (1,037 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,
Try giving these..
Import Mode: Add/Replace
Format Control: device

and check! also check if there is no CI with same name.

can u plz attach csv too..

TH@nks
dev
Advisor
Tuthu
Message 9 of 13 (1,033 Views)

Dev,

I still get the same errors (below)

dv_3 wrote:

Hi,
Try giving these..
Import Mode: Add/Replace
Format Control: device

and check! also check if there is no CI with same name.

can u plz attach csv too..

The record being updated contains a NULL key (file.import.new,update.run)

file:(device) key:(logical.name=wkn2346) (file.import.new,update.run)

Key #11 is empty. (file.import.new,update.run)

I've attached the test csv file.

thanks

Valued Contributor
dv_3
Message 10 of 13 (1,031 Views)

I think you might be missing any mandatory field ..when you are importing!
TH@nks
dev
Advisor
Tuthu
Message 11 of 13 (1,030 Views)

Dev, I have 3 mandatory fields. i.e CI Name (logical.name), status (istatus) and Config Admin Group (assignment) on the New Configuration form. I've included all those in the csv file but same error
Valued Contributor
Kris Jensen
Message 12 of 13 (1,023 Views)

Hi.  Key #11 is "Type".  You need this so the Device table knows if the CI is a computer, an application, a Business Service, etc...  And it CANNOT be null.  Very important!!!!  You can see all the keys if you go to System Navigator -> System Definitions->Tables and double clike on "device".  Then click on the Fields and Keys tab (but you probably all ready know that).

Also, from experience we have had running Text Imports, CSV files are crappy.  Save your Excel sheet as a TXT file that is Tab deliminated.  We use Tabs because they are very rarely used in names.

Hope that helps a bit.

Kris

Advisor
Tuthu
Message 13 of 13 (1,016 Views)

Kris Jensen wrote:

Hi.  Key #11 is "Type".  You need this so the Device table knows if the CI is a computer, an application, a Business Service, etc...  And it CANNOT be null.  Very important!!!!  You can see all the keys if you go to System Navigator -> System Definitions->Tables and double clike on "device".  Then click on the Fields and Keys tab (but you probably all ready know that).

Also, from experience we have had running Text Imports, CSV files are crappy.  Save your Excel sheet as a TXT file that is Tab deliminated.  We use Tabs because they are very rarely used in names.

Hope that helps a bit.

Kris

Thanks alot. That was the problem. As soon as I included the type as one of the columns, I was able to import. thanks again.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.