Re: Import Users from MS Active Directory to HPSM without using Connect-IT or any third party tool (419 Views)
Trusted Contributor
SanjeevDas
Message 1 of 3 (481 Views)

Import Users from MS Active Directory to HPSM without using Connect-IT or any third party tool

Hi Experts,

I have successfully integrated Active Directory with Service manager. However I want to import all the users from Active Directory to HPSM automatically without using Connect IT or any third party tool. Is it possible,only by mapping between the two products?

Please help.

Thanks and regards,

Sanjeev

Frequent Advisor
chris.v
Message 2 of 3 (426 Views)

Re: Import Users from MS Active Directory to HPSM without using Connect-IT or any third party tool

AD is based on LDAP, thus there are various LDAP tools available to export AD data into a csv.

Your AD administrators should now which ones is best suited, csvde is one I know of, you set a LDAP query and then the data is exported from the result sets.

You can then build an import descriptor on SM importing the data on schedule or on demand.

Tools used is AD tools and import descriptor is native to SM, this will work I have done this numerous times

If you find this post useful/helpful the Kudo the post by click on star of the post.
Valued Contributor
SteveO_1
Message 3 of 3 (419 Views)

Re: Import Users from MS Active Directory to HPSM without using Connect-IT or any third party tool

You can follow the details provided if you want to import all the data, alternatively you can map the contacts table and set the LDAP server as the primary data source. This will then pull details directly from the LDAP server, rather than having to populate the Service Manager database.

There are conditions to be aware of, for example where the LDAP server is set as the data source then that will provide the primary data, if a contact for the same record appears in the Service Manager database then the data from the 2 databases is merged. This functionality also means that if you map the contacts file, you do not need to import all of the record details, as after Service Manager is queried for a contact, so will the LDAP data source, and then the data will be merged.

There are limitations with using LDAP as the primary data source, including that if a query is issued for a contact that does not include a mapped LDAP field, then the LDAP server will be queried for all contacts, and this can cause performance issues.

For more details please see the guide at: http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/LID/SM_LDAP_BestPractices.pdf

Effectively you have 2 methods, use LDAP as the primary datastore, or import some of the LDAP details into Service manager, configure a mapping between Service Manager and the LDAP data source  and allow the system to perform the merges of data from LDAP and Service Manager.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.