How to prevent users to stop loging Service Manager ignoring particular set of operators? (269 Views)
Occasional Contributor
jimclassic
Message 1 of 5 (269 Views)

How to prevent users to stop loging Service Manager ignoring particular set of operators?

Hi,

I wold like to stop users to loging to SM7 except some particular users.

Is there any way to perform this task. I think this can be achieved using Javascript but not sure about exact syntax.

Let me know if someone knows the way.

Thanks in Advance.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jacob Heubner
Message 2 of 5 (262 Views)

Re: How to prevent users to stop loging Service Manager ignoring particular set of operators?

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do and why...

If you're trying to lock specific users out of the tool, you can lock their operator record.  There's a field 'man.lockout.user'.  Set that to true, and the operator can't log in.

If you're talking about during a release or maintenance or something, when you need the sys admins to be able to log in while the other users can't get in, we do it by starting up a debug node, rather than the load balancer, and then telling the users who need to connect what the debug server/port is.  They can modify their connections to log into the open servlet, while other users who try to access the load balancer won't be able to get in.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Randall Harvey
Message 3 of 5 (259 Views)

Re: How to prevent users to stop loging Service Manager ignoring particular set of operators?

If you are looking to prevent all but Admin users from logging in, the best option would be to use the "sm -quiesce:x" commandline call to do this.

For example, to quiesce to admin only on a single server instance, you would use:

sm -quiesce:1

and to return it to all users it would be:

sm -quiesce:0

If you need to prevent ALL users, including admins from logging in, use:

sm -quiesce:2

There are additional options when using quiesce from the Load Balancer node in a server group.  See the Helpserver documentation under "quiesce".  There's lots of good detail there.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
jimclassic
Message 4 of 5 (250 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks Jacob and Randall for the response.

Let me explain the exact scenario.

There are some migrations going on due to which we are doing some tests in the SM prodcution server.

There are some 350+ users for the SM. And there are 10 people(including non-admins) who will be part of this testing team. The testing period will be around 2 weeks. So I want to prevent all the users EXCEPT those 10 testing team operators to access SM7 during that 2 weeks.

Let me know if you need any further clarity.

Thanks in Advance.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jacob Heubner
Message 5 of 5 (240 Views)

Then I'd go with my option.  If you don't start the load balancer, and only start up a debug node, you can give the server port combination to any user who would need to connect.  Even via the web client, you can redirect users to the specific port, assuming you've configured the following parameters in the web.xml -

<init-param>
  <param-name>honorUrlHost</param-name>
  <param-value>true</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
  <param-name>honorUrlPort</param-name>
  <param-value>true</param-value>
</init-param>

Then, users can modify the service manager link to access your debug port.  Fro the help documentation on the Web tier parameters:

You can provide connection-specific Web tier parameters from the Web browser URL that override the current web.xml values. For example, the following URL changes the connection to host mycompany on port 13082 for this client session.

http://localhost:8080/sm/index.do?serverHost=myhost.mydomain.com&serverPort=13082

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation