Re: How does HPSM 7.11 calculate when a deadline alert should be raised? (906 Views)
Trusted Contributor
lwvirden
Message 1 of 13 (921 Views)

How does HPSM 7.11 calculate when a deadline alert should be raised?

When an incident ticket is entered, a process is set in motion to send a deadline alert if the ticket is still open after some amount of time.

How is that time calculated - is it a simple open time plus N minutes/hours/days whatever, or does it skip weekends?

Where is this calcuation done?

We had a case this weekend where a deadline alert went off over the weekend and a manager asked how the deadline is calculated.

Thank you

Trusted Contributor
SanjeevDas
Message 2 of 13 (906 Views)

Re: How does HPSM 7.11 calculate when a deadline alert should be raised?

Hi,

The deadline alert is calculated by the expression : $L.alert.time=$L.slo.expiration

where $L.slo.expiration time is defined in a SLO which triggers the alert, if the status of the ticket is not changed within the defined time.

For example, lets say that in the SLO it is defined that the, ticket with initial status as 'open' has to be changed to 'resolved' with in the time 'interval' say '10:00:00' hrs. If the status of the ticket is not changed to resolved within the said time the SLo will fire the alert. This is how the deadline is calculated.

The dead line alert is defined in the OTB SLA Breach alert.

Go to Service Level Management>Supporting Data>Alert Definitions>search SLa Breach>check Update Info tab>Statement contains the deadline alert condition.

Regards,

Sanjeev

Trusted Contributor
lwvirden
Message 3 of 13 (900 Views)

Thanks - I did find the SLA Breach record.

with regardings to the question of whether or not the alerts accounted for weekends, I noted in the help doc the statement, in relationship to the idea that a scheduled notification or alert normally occurs regardless of the work schedule:

"Using a custom calendar, however, the same 6-hour delay occurs only during the defined work schedule."

I looked in the SLA Breach record and found that in the work schedule tab for incidents, our record says that $L.calendar would contain a specific work schedule. However, when I take a look with rad at $L.calendar for a currently open record, $L.calendar is NULL.

I am trying now to understand the docs regarding creating custom calendars, work schedules, etc. to figure all of that out.

Does anyone know of a white paper or tutorial on this subject?

Thank you so much for your response!

Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 4 of 13 (898 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

what you need to achive.
If you are willing to create a sla with particular calendar then just create sm will take care of it.

However there is rte call "calendar.calc.interval.fc" which calculate exactly working hours.

hth,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Assign Kudo, if found post useful and mark it accepted if solves the issue.
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks/Kudos-what-where-how-and-why/m-p/5677925#U5677925
Trusted Contributor
lwvirden
Message 5 of 13 (891 Views)

I don't understand exactly what was being said. I have never created an sla - is that required to create a calendar/work schedule?

Occasional Visitor
Dabr9027
Message 6 of 13 (609 Views)

Good day good sir. I'm new in this forums and you seem to know a bit about this system, maybe you can help me out with this:

I'd like to know how do I know when the alert are activated? since I've been submiting some SLO and those are not triggering any alert and also are not getting any data that should be calculated (such as Standard deviation and alike)

tell me friend, which possible cause is making this error happen ?

I thank you in advance.

Daniel Becerra

P.D: I attached a screenshot of the issue itself. I apologize for the spanish. its my native language hehe

Trusted Contributor
lwvirden
Message 7 of 13 (603 Views)

Okay, to see if the deadline has been reached, search for an incident, then within the QBE display of tickets, click on More > Modify columns and then add Alert Status to the columns to be displayed. click on proceed. The column will say DEADLINE ALERT in red if the deadline has been reached.
Is that what you are asking?
Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 8 of 13 (591 Views)

Hi ,

You have to check what are SLOs associated to your sla and then got for alerts mentioned in that SLO.
There will be condition to calculate the same and resetting the alerts status of ticket.
This will schedule the record in scheduler table for same and then will update the ticket as per scheduler record.
If it is strop working and you did not changed anything in SLA module then check you scheduler table health. Records should not be more than 10k.

Hth,
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks/Kudos-what-where-how-and-why/m-p/5677925#U5677925
Trusted Contributor
lwvirden
Message 9 of 13 (584 Views)

And how do things work if one does not license the SLA module?
Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 10 of 13 (579 Views)

If not having license for SLA then you should not be able to add/edit SLA/SLOs.

But from where this question arises.

hth,
Trusted Contributor
lwvirden
Message 11 of 13 (575 Views)

> But from where this question arises.

well, the first question I posted comes from the fact that I want to alter the way the deadline alert time is calculated so that it only applys to work hours and not weekend and holidays.

the second question -about the SLA module - was in response to the comments earlier that talked about examing the SLA module info ... we don't have a license for the SLA module so I am guessing we can't do anything about the SLA records.

Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 12 of 13 (571 Views)

Hi,

If you are not having SLA license then how did you configured the SLOs/SLA. You can not access even sla module.

Are you sure that you don’t have license for it , since it bought by almost all the client using ITSM/ITIL environment.

hth,
Trusted Contributor
lwvirden
Message 13 of 13 (569 Views)

As far as I am aware, no one did configure the SLOs/SLA.
I know for certain that we do not have that license now. We may have had it at one point, but the license was dropped because we were not using it.

The DEADLINE alerts appear to be working just fine, however.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.