Help on Email options for Service Manager, SCauto, SMTP, SCEMAIL, connect-it? (713 Views)
Valued Contributor
Tonyperkis
Message 1 of 12 (713 Views)
Accepted Solution

Help on Email options for Service Manager, SCauto, SMTP, SCEMAIL, connect-it?

Hi,

We are currently sending email via smtp1.0.2.0   KM437804 and it works fine with out issue.  The problem is we now want to include a hyperlink in the emails when incidents are closed to take users to our survey application.   I've been reading numerous articles on here on how this can be accomplished but not really understanding as I'm confused with the various options to send email.  

We are on HP SM 9.21 and yes I know you have to be at least 9.30 to send html formatted email BUT I've read some posts saying that the HTML Email Solution pack will work on previous versions like 9.21.  I've downloaded it and installed everything and looks like the event out is working correctly but the email received is still in plain text.  You see all the html tags in the email.  I believe that is because we are using SMTP.1.0.20 but not sure. So I guess let me get to the questions already:

-Are the mails in plain text because we are using SMTP1.0.2.0?

-if yes, Is there a newer version of SMTP1.0.2.0 that can handle HTML?

-I've read some people were able to put hyperlinks in the email via Macro, is there any example of that?  If so will that work with SMTP1.0.2.0 or do you need a different email configuration?

-Does anyone have any documenatation on how to configure the other email options?  Lets say we were running 9.30  I would assume we still wouldn't be getting html formated emails because we are using SMTP1.0.2.0 correct?  So what would I need to do to get it working in 9.30?

Thanks

HP Expert
lisajo
Message 2 of 12 (711 Views)

Re: Help on Email options for Service Manager, SCauto, SMTP, SCEMAIL, connect-it?

Hi Tony

I found a KM article KM00483033

in pre-9.3x releases, Connect-IT Email would be needed to send HTML formatted emails. Connect-It email is not included in the Foundation license and is an optional component.

Base SMTP email is text only and does not support font modifictions/bold/italics/etc. In the 9.30 release, it was enhanced to support HTML email, but it was not updated for previous versions.

Hope this helps

Lisa

"HP Support
If you find that this post or any post resolves your issue, please make sure to mark it as an accepted solution."
HP Expert
lisajo
Message 3 of 12 (704 Views)

Re: Help on Email options for Service Manager, SCauto, SMTP, SCEMAIL, connect-it?

Hi

Not sure if you have this document but this might help

"HP Support
If you find that this post or any post resolves your issue, please make sure to mark it as an accepted solution."
Valued Contributor
Tonyperkis
Message 4 of 12 (683 Views)

Thanks but that document already assumes "This solution requires that you have an email infrastructure in place, including a

properly configured SMTP server and configurations in some Service Manager files".  We have this but not one that is capable of sending html email.  I guess it also assumes you are not using SMTP 1.0.2.0. 

We have a 9.30 environment as well and was going to use the SMTP 1.0.2.0 but I'm guessing we would have the same result.  So how would one configure the 9.30 environment to send HTML email if you can' use SMTP 1.0.2.0?.
HP Expert
lisajo
Message 5 of 12 (681 Views)

Hi Tony

Not sure if you have seen this discussion

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-Service-Manager-Service/HTML-emails-in-Service-Manager/td-p/5697049#...

Lisa

"HP Support
Valued Contributor
Tonyperkis
Message 6 of 12 (674 Views)

I did thanks, mostly talks about Connect-IT.  We don't want to use Connect-IT to send emails.  We have a 9.30 environment which should be cabable of sending HTML correct?  HTML Email Solution installed, how does one go about configuring the email part I guess using SCEMAIL or SCAuto as SMTP is off the table?

HP Expert
lisajo
Message 7 of 12 (670 Views)

Hi Tony

Not sure if you have this document but this might help

"HP Support
HP Expert
lisajo
Message 8 of 12 (667 Views)

Hi again Tony

There is some good info on the Help Server on SCEMAIL

"HP Support
Honored Contributor
John Stagaman
Message 9 of 12 (666 Views)

[ Edited ]

To use HTML Email one of the following must be true:

• You are on a version of SM (RTE and Application) of 9.30 or higher with the corresponding version of SC-Auto. This level allows the use of SMTP Email to send HTML emails.
  • For versions prior to 9.30, you must have Connect-It Email.

You can include a URL in a plain text email, so you don't need HTML Mail to meet that objective. The Notification Engine will automatically calcuate the SM URLs as part of the send process: $L.ess.url (for links to ESS) or $L.web.url (links to the full client). For an out of box example, look at SD.notify.open.

You can do something similar for your survey link: calculate the survey link in the format control and save it as a field in the record (you can do this at open). e.g. ourSurveyLink="http://surveymonkey.com/parameters to pass number="+incident.id in $file.

Then add the ourSurveyLink to the form similar to how the SM link is added in the example.

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
Valued Contributor
Tonyperkis
Message 10 of 12 (661 Views)

Thanks,  While I work on configuring SCAUTO in our 9.30 environment  I will try the suggested, I just want to make sure I understand correctly. 

For adding url in email.

Create form for which the notification record will use (format).  Trying to do this for IM Close notification.   In that form add lable with $L.web.url as input  Then in a format control lets say IM.open.incident enter a calculation to set the value of $L.web.url?  and the value will be what ever url we enter?  Do I have that right?

Also is SCAUTO 4.03 the latest version?

HP Expert
lisajo
Message 11 of 12 (658 Views)

Hi Tony

Yes SCAUTO 4.03 is latest version .

"HP Support
Valued Contributor
Tonyperkis
Message 12 of 12 (640 Views)

John,

Thanks for the suggestion of using $L.web.url.  That worked for adding url in email notification.  This will work while I get our 9.30 environment setup.

Added new field in probsummary - apz.survey.url

added format control on IM.close.incident  calculation on update

if (categorycb in $file="APZ SECURITY") then (apz.survey.url in $file="http://www.google.com")

added apz.survey.url as input on lable in form used for our notification

set notification to use form with apz.survey.url in it

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.