Event Out Record Not Being Generated (862 Views)
Valued Contributor
Tonyperkis
Message 1 of 12 (862 Views)
Accepted Solution

Event Out Record Not Being Generated

I am trying to configure email via the OOB option using notification engine with document engine but I am unable to get an event out record created so scemail smpt can process the record.  Any guidance as to where to look would be appreciated.  We are running 9.21.157.  I've created a macro which generates an event out and I'm able to send e mail that way but I would like to use the notification engine.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Andy_ABB
Message 2 of 12 (844 Views)

Re: Event Out Record Not Being Generated

check sch table if you have some records with name ="message" if yes check running processes like problem , change

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 3 of 12 (834 Views)

First of all verify that proper conditions are set to generate the eventout records.
then
check the event process is running or not?
then check the schedule table,here check number of records or record having status as "application failed..."

hth,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Assign Kudo, if found post useful and mark it accepted if solves the issue.
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks/Kudos-what-where-how-and-why/m-p/5677925#U5677925
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Tonyperkis
Message 4 of 12 (831 Views)

Thanks for the suggestions.  I think I found my issue but not sure I understand it yet.  I guess you need a vaild Recipient in the notification record.  The OOB had Operator(), I replaced this with an actual email address and I got a record in the event out.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 5 of 12 (828 Views)

HI,

Actually operator is the one whom action triggered the notification and SM will pick the email id from his operator record. If there is no id mentioned in operator record then no mail will be delivered.

for example,
if you are logged in user and open a ticket. And you have configured the notification to send to operator() then here operator is the your id(login id).
SM will pick the mail id from your operator record and scheduled the mail on that mail id.

hope it is clear.

hth,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Assign Kudo, if found post useful and mark it accepted if solves the issue.
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks/Kudos-what-where-how-and-why/m-p/5677925#U5677925
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jacob Heubner
Message 6 of 12 (826 Views)

Overall, I would recommend _NOT_ using macros to generate your email events, but instead use the notification engine.

Use Database Manager and look for the table named 'notification'

The SD, IM, PM, CM and RM modules are already configured to check the notification records when tickets are added, updated or closed.

Take a look at the "IM Open" record and let me highlight a couple of fields on that notification record.

The "Msg class" and "Msg no." refer to the record in the scmessage table that will be used to generate the subject line and first line of text in the email that goes out.

The "arguments" is an array of values that get passed to the scmessage record to populate specific values.  For example, the first row in that record has a msg class and msg no of pm - 311.  If you look at that scmessage record, that message takes four variables (the %S in the message):

%S %S:  Incident %S has been opened by %S

In the Notification record, the arguments array populates those variables with {nullsub($lo.time.zone, ""),str(tod()),number in $L.file,nullsub($lo.ufname, nullsub(operator(), "NULL"))}

- the timezone of the user, todays date, the IM number, and the operator's name (or NULL if the operator has no name)

The condition field is the expression that gets evaluated to determine whether or not this notification will trigger.  You can compare $L.file to $L.file.save, you can trigger off of variables; you can even invoke calls to the javascript Script Library to determine whether this should trigger.

The format is the name of the format the system will use when generating the notifications.  For email, this is the body of the email that is generated.

The notify method (commonly msg or email) determines whether this is something that is supposed to appear on screen, or something that gets sent out in the email

And the last significant field is the recipients field, that determines who should get this notification.

If you're on 7x or later, I would recommend this over macros.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Tonyperkis
Message 7 of 12 (823 Views)

I agree and the reason I'm trying to figure out how to send e mail via the notification engine.  I'm still having issues with the recipient and or group file.  As mentioned before when I put an actuall email address in recipient I am able to get an event out record and an email to fire off.  When I use operator() or remove operator() and put assignment in group file I am not able to get an event out record and then no email.  Attached is screen shot of my test notification def file.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jacob Heubner
Message 8 of 12 (818 Views)

Well, it won't send an email to operator()

When the notification engine is called, the system checks to see who is the recipient of the email.  If the recipient is the operator, it assumes that the operator _knows_ what he just did to the ticket, so no email is sent.

What you should be using is ___ in $L.file - like assignment in $L.file will send it to the assignment group in the record (there's where you can have the "group file" populated so it knows where it should look for the members of the assignment group - assignment, cm3groups, oncall, etc).

assignee.name in $L.file (or whatever field in the record in the record holds an operator ID or contact name) will send an email to the email address listed in that operator/contact record.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Tonyperkis
Message 9 of 12 (814 Views)

Thanks that did the trick.  I guess the last thing is to come up with a condition that works.  I'm trying to send an email to the assignment group when an incident is assigned to the group.  Below is the conditions I've tried but no go so far.

assignment in $L.file.save~=assignment in $L.file

also tried

not same(assignment in $L.file.save, assignment in $L.file)

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jacob Heubner
Message 10 of 12 (805 Views)

Do you have that condition in the IM Update notification record, or the IM Open?

If it's in the Open, that will not trigger, since the $L.file.save value will always be NULL (there is no saved record when the record is first saved).  On the Open notification record, you'd either need a nullsub -

nullsub(assignment in $L.file.save, "xXxX")~=assignment in $L.file

or simply true (since that will always trigger)

In the IM Update record, though, that should be working... your recipient should be assignment in $L.file, group file should be 'assignment' and group area should be all

Post the record you're working on.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Tonyperkis
Message 11 of 12 (783 Views)

Thanks,  My issue was I was using that condition in the IM open record and not the IM update.  When I added it to the IM update record it works fine.  I didn't think it mattered as I thought they were just names given to the notification records.  If I wanted to create a whole new notification record would I have to give it a special name?  How would it be associated with the various functions, i.e., IM open notification record seems to be linked to opening of incidents.  Where is that linking done?  Or am I restricted only to the records proviced. Thanks for all your help, you have been very helpful in my exploration into the notification engine.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jacob Heubner
Message 12 of 12 (778 Views)

For most of the OOB modules, which notification record gets called is determined in various RAD applications.

For example, the IM notifications get called by a trigger record (apm.post.edit) that calls another RAD (apm.action.msg) to determine which notification to send based on the mode.

But, by that same token, if you look at the OOB notification definition records, you can usually figure out which is being called.  The IM Open gets called when the Incident is opened... the IM Reopen is when a closed IM gets reopened, the IM Update is when you save an IM, etc.

But, any time you see a call to the sc.activity or the se.base.method RAD application, you may have a little more wiggle room for completely custom notification definition records.

I've never found the need to add a completely new record, and I just modify the existing definitions.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation