Re: Edit format details manually (94 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Gergely
Message 1 of 6 (118 Views)

Edit format details manually

Hi,

I have a problem with manual editing of formats. I would like to set a field to auto-uppercase without using the form designer. This should be as simple as changing the field property in the format record from "CaseConversion=2" to "CaseConversion=1".

But it does not work.

I save the record, and if I open the format details again, "CaseConversion=1" is there but the form designer still shows lowercase. If I go to design mode and save again it will set back to "CaseConversion=2"....

But if set it to upper case in the form designer (so not in format details) then it works fine and "CaseConversion=1" can be seen in the details.

It seems like the formats are cached somehow and the designer updates this cache but the format details update does not...

Any idea?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jacob Heubner
Message 2 of 6 (111 Views)

Re: Edit format details manually

Why are you trying to bypass Form Designer?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Gergely
Message 3 of 6 (109 Views)

Because I have to do it on many formats and fd is much slower then the format details.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jacob Heubner
Message 4 of 6 (106 Views)

What version of HPSM are you running?

If I go into the Format Detail section, and add '<tab>Case Conversion=2<tab>' on a field (like category, subcategory, etc), it displays correctly for me when I view the form.

But, here's my guess as to what's happening for you.

1 - are you remembering to tab both before and after the Case Conversion=x statement you're pasting?

2 - when you search for a form in Form Designer, it grabs the form and puts it in a cache. Before you enter design mode, if you select Format Detail, it takes you to that record in the format table. When you finish in Format Detail, it doesn't change the form that got loaded into the cache. So the record you're looking at in the normal form designer is the copy of the record the system grabbed prior to your Format Detail modifications.

Personally, unless you're changing every field, though, I think it would be faster and easier to just modify the record in form designer, rather than fighting the system.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Gergely
Message 5 of 6 (100 Views)

System is 9.32.

1 - I did not changed the tabs I only replaced the text from Conversion=2 to Conversion=1. But yes, I checked, the tabs are all right.

2 - it also happens if don't use the fd at all. I open the format record from database utility and edit the property, and it has no effect.

Ok, if I don't have any other option then I will use the fd but why do we have the details editor if we can't use it? Doing it on many formats would be much faster this way.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Gergely
Message 6 of 6 (94 Views)

The same is true for 9.31.

I don't have any older system.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation