Re: Difference between SRC and SM web ? (527 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Message 1 of 8 (594 Views)

Difference between SRC and SM web ?

Experts,

I havent worked on SRC yet. I am under the assumption that, SRC is basically replacing the ESS portal which was there with HP SM. Is my understanding correct ?

Do I need to deploy the SRC war file and the SM war file separately inorder to make the SRC portal and the ANalyst portal work ?.

Please guide.

Thank you

dev.

Valued Contributor
Message 2 of 8 (576 Views)

Re: Difference between SRC and SM web ?

The SM war file found with the service manager installation bits or webtier patches, webtier-9.30.war, provides the popular ESS portal(ess.do) and a web version of the full client a/k/a the Webclient(index.do).

For installation instructions, see the Service Manager 9.30 Interactive Installation Guide.

The SRC war file is a different one: src-1.30p2.war.

The SM and SRC war files independant of each other and I've attached the Installation guide for SRC since it is more difficult to find.

There is no announcement to obsolete ESS however SRC is gaining in popularity and I encourage you to view the youtube chanel HewlettPackardVideos for a neat SRC demo: "HP Service Request Catalog Demo: Simple. Flexible. Efficient."

----------------------------------------------------
Service Manager Expert (HP)
If you find this post useful/helpful click the Kudos thumb on this post!
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Frequent Advisor
Message 3 of 8 (568 Views)

Thank you for the reply.

So 1 clarification here,

I understand that from the SRC portal, we would be to raise the Self Service Requests also. SO what is the point of setting up the ESS portal separately.

Our requirement is to implement the service catalog, Request management modules. Also we have SD, IM , PM and CM.

So should i be telling the users to raise Self Service requests thru the SRC portal or thru the ESS portal ?. Please let me know.

Thank you

HP Expert
Message 4 of 8 (555 Views)

HI

ESS is used for web client to open interactions or check on cases they have opened.  Instead of installing the full cient on the desktop

"HP Support
If you find that this post or any post resolves your issue, please make sure to mark it as an accepted solution."
Valued Contributor
Message 5 of 8 (547 Views)

Typically the SRC and ESS serve similar purposes, you'd normally use one or the other - the trend being SRC.

I'd suggest you install it or view a demo to see if it suits your requirements :)

Service Manager Expert (HP)
If you find this post useful/helpful click the Kudos thumb on this post!
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Honored Contributor
Message 6 of 8 (536 Views)

[ Edited ]

Prior to the most recent version of the SRC, the older ESS client included functionality not supported by the SRC such as the ability to access knowledge management in self-service. Customers that licensed that functionality generally chose to continue using the ESS client.

However,  recent versions of SRC  support all core functionality that ESS provided plus it provides the option to define support catalog items which can auto-esclalate to incidents without Service Desk intervention (support catalog items are not available via the ESS portal).

There are still some cases where customers still need to use the ESS client. For example, many customers developed a custom survey solution where surveys are completed in the ESS client. There is no capablity at this time to expose similar functionality in the SRC. We have a customer that is using the SRC, but has configured the ESS portal to be used only for surveys to get around this limitation.

Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
Occasional Advisor
Message 7 of 8 (527 Views)

Hi there,

a big difference between ESS and SRC, is the later version of SRC supports the tablet access, yet ess not.

with this capbility, user can be self-serviced without the limitation of location.

and also the capbility to define the catalog items from SRC, as mentioned before.

Frequent Advisor
Message 8 of 8 (518 Views)

Thank you  Guys for the  valuable comments and guidance.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.