Changing passwords (604 Views)
Advisor
bitDoctor
Message 1 of 10 (604 Views)
Accepted Solution

Changing passwords

Hello all,

I am sure this is a FAQ but after an hour of searching I still don't know the answer.  I logged in as System.Admin and created a new operator.  However, HPSM automatically created a new password for the operator so I am unable to login.  Also, I cannot see where to change the new operator password.  I tried changing it on the Security tab but upon save it changed the password back.

Please advise.

HP Expert
NgocNgo
Message 2 of 10 (556 Views)

Re: Changing passwords

Hi bitDoctor,

Please let me know Do you have configured LDAP in your system? If yes, please refer to the KM00733791 for more information to fix the error. If no, we will start a deeper investigation on the error.

Thank you and Best regards,

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Also, please assign a Kudo to the post if you find it is helpful
Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 3 of 10 (539 Views)

Hi,

Check your company record by typing ‘info’ in command line, here in password tab check if any default password is mentioned or not.

Also as said above for LDAP, SM will check the password in LDAP DB not in the SM operator record.

hth,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Assign Kudo, if found post useful and mark it accepted if solves the issue.
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks/Kudos-what-where-how-and-why/m-p/5677925#U5677925
Honored Contributor
John Stagaman
Message 4 of 10 (529 Views)

To change the password, select More Actions>Reset Password when viewing the operator record
----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
Advisor
bitDoctor
Message 5 of 10 (514 Views)

Apologies!  That was an obvious thing to mention.  This particular instance of HPSM is not tied to LDAP or an ED.  It is fully standalone.  We use it to develop HPSM integrations.

Thanks!

Advisor
bitDoctor
Message 6 of 10 (513 Views)

I tried that but it resets the password to some very long string whose value is not known to me.
Advisor
bitDoctor
Message 7 of 10 (509 Views)

Thank you for the tip Piku. When I type "info" HPSM pops up the Background Processor Initialization Registry form. I am very strong in HPSM web services but I am weak in overall system administration. Our SysAdmin for this machine is gone so I am learning by fire...
Honored Contributor
John Stagaman
Message 8 of 10 (505 Views)

[ Edited ]
If you access System Administration > Base System Configuration > Miscellaneous > System Information Record, the Password tab has an option to define how passwords are reset:
--if set to value is selected, the reset option will always set to that value.
--if set to login ID, it sets to that
--if "prompt for value" it will prompt for you to enter and then confirm the new password.

Logout/login after updating the setting. Once any password is saved in the operator record it is encrypted and cannot be read.
----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 9 of 10 (503 Views)

You are not wrong but myself only mistakenly mentioned the ‘info’.
You have to use command 'comp'.

Also post what is there in first few lines of the 'operator' format control.

hth,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Assign Kudo, if found post useful and mark it accepted if solves the issue.
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks/Kudos-what-where-how-and-why/m-p/5677925#U5677925
Advisor
bitDoctor
Message 10 of 10 (488 Views)

Perfect!  Thank you so much!  It was set to make the password the same as the username.  I would never have thought to look in Misc, system information record for password policies.  I guess this is part of the HPSM job security ;-)

bitDoctor

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.