Re: Blank Tab Appears Suddenly; Titled as "Form Display" (413 Views)
Occasional Advisor
deeptipanth
Message 1 of 12 (456 Views)

Blank Tab Appears Suddenly; Titled as "Form Display"

Hi,

I am using HP Service Manager 7.11. While working on HPSM a blank tab "Form Display" appears out of nowhere and whole HPSM freezes. To resume I have to compltely log-off all the HPSM connections open at that time. This issue is occuring very frequently.

We reinstalled the HPSM Client but the issue still exists.

Attached is the screenshot for the reference.

Could someone please advice me on this?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
deeptipanth
Message 2 of 12 (413 Views)

Re: Blank Tab Appears Suddenly; Titled as "Form Display"

please help us on this ... its urgent

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
quanta223
Message 3 of 12 (373 Views)

Hi,

I have this problem also, when i try to open multiple tabs ( ex: 5 tabs ), the fifth tab is show "Form Display" tab with absolutely nothing in it and prevent user from accessing tabs.

Please find the attachment for more details.

Regards,

Quan

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 4 of 12 (365 Views)

Hi,

It usually happens when you have lots of tabs consuming whole memory.
Also if you are always getting fifth form as blank then it could be because of restriction of concurrent tabs allowed and controlled by parameter 'appthreadspersession' in sm.ini.

Parameter:
appthreadspersession
Description:
This parameter gives a site some control over the amount of server memory that a user can consume by limiting the number of application tabs that can be opened through the client. If a user performs an action that will result in opening a new application tab that exceeds the limit (for example, the maximum number of tabs is set at three and the user performs an action that would open a fourth tab), a message is displayed letting the user know that the maximum number of application tabs has been exceeded and the action is denied.

This parameter can also be used during load tests to prevent a common problem where a script that is recorded never closes the application tab, and then results in out-of-memory errors.
Valid if set from
"Startup parameter: appthreadspersession" (on page 1)Server's OS command prompt
Initialization file (sm.ini)
Requires restart of HP Service Manager server?
No
Default value
0 (Unlimited number of application tabs.)

Note: If you are running in scripting mode, the default value is 5.

Possible values:
No maximum is enforced.

Example usage:
Command line: sm -appthreadspersession:3
Initialization file: appthreadspersession:3
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
quanta223
Message 5 of 12 (356 Views)

Hi Piku,

Thanks for your reply, i have tried to add this parameter to sm.ini file but no luck.
Also, Did you know the scripting mode? Because i have read the line "If you are running in scripting mode, the default value is 5".
Could you please let me know how can i check it in my system?

Regards,
Quan
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 6 of 12 (348 Views)

Did you restrted the Sm services ? or relogin to system.

Not aware of scripting mode.
check your sm.log file at time of such incidents as could be due to memory lack.

hth,
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jacob Heubner
Message 7 of 12 (339 Views)

In the original screenshot, this was showing up on the second open tab - meaning that you didn't have a lot of tabs open, and you still experienced the issue.

Usually when I have seen this it seems to be due to the number of open tabs, but I think it's related to memory.  Each tab carves out a certain amount of memory, and when you've used up that memory, you get that issue.  If this is happening with just a few tabs open, it may not be an issue with some setting at the server, but an issue with your client.

Does it happen to every user's desktop client, or just some (or one?).  

Here's a few things to try -

First, close the user's HPSM client.  Then use Task Manager in Windows and look at the Processes tab to make sure there are no ServiceManager.exe processes, or java.exe or javaw.exe processes running.  Then start up the client again and check Task Manager to see how much memory is being consumed by the ServiceManager.exe, java.exe and javaw.exe processes.

Second, there's actually an .ini file with the client that determines the amount of memory to allocate to the eclipse client.   Check the client installation directory for a ServiceManager.ini file (%ServiceManagerInstall%\Client\ServiceManager.ini)  Open that file with any text editor and modify the -Xmx parameter to something that makes sense for the user's machine.  (For example, I think the default is -Xmx256M... try changing that to -Xmx512M and see if that helps alleviate the issue.

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
lisajo
Message 8 of 12 (332 Views)

Hi

Do you see any errors in the SM log or can you do a trace

Thank you

Lisa

"HP Support
If you find that this post or any post resolves your issue, please make sure to mark it as an accepted solution."
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
quanta223
Message 9 of 12 (319 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi ,

Thanks for your information and supports.
I will try these steps that is provided by you and update the result shortly.
Also for your information, my server is 9.32.0016, and when i used the client 9.32, i met the error. But with client 9.30, everything is fine.

So maybe the issue is in SM client.

Regards,
Quan

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
quanta223
Message 10 of 12 (299 Views)

Hi Jacob,

I have tried the steps that you mentioned above, change the -Xmx parameter to -Xmx512M, but still no luck.
When trying to troubleshoot client 9.32 and 9.30, i get the DDE server error in 9.32 client. Please find the attachments.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Piku
Message 11 of 12 (269 Views)

Did you tried to reinstall the sm9.32.
Also you are supposed to use SM7.1x client for your SM7.11 server/RTE, hence use that and check the error.

hth,
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
quanta223
Message 12 of 12 (263 Views)

Hi piku,

Thanks for your reply.
I have also re install the SM client 9.32 but no luck. My SM server is 9.32 , the RTE is 9.32.0016.

Do you have any idea?

Regards,
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation