04-25-2009 05:16 PM
Overall, the service call, change, incident, attachment could be migrated pretty smoothly. CI, person, location, organization need some tuning.
It is more than 10M, no way I can upload here. If you do have interest to watch it, leave your email here and I will forward the link.
04-27-2009 12:50 AM
Regarding "migration": while HP provides these tools and they are able to migrate some stuff it has these serious drawbacks:
1) Performance - on SM7 side it is possible to process 1-2 records per second at most. In case you have a large amount of objects to migrate the process can take several days. Imagine a failure here and there you'll end up with non-realistic schedule (not counting preparation, testing, etc.). You will have to stop SD while transferring the records but then what to use in the meantime?
2) Scope - while it is able to migrate some of the objects it is UNABLE to migrate any logic/customizations you have done in SD. Some organizations would be able to drop their old Servicecalls, Incidents, etc. migrating only CIs and Services. However any custom logic/notifications will not be migrated and need to be reanalyzed and reimplemented. This imposes significant expenditures.
3) Integrations - is sort of different view of point 2) Any integrations you currently have needs to be completely reanalyzed and redesigned. SM7 uses completely different ways to integrate with outside world. Combined with completely broken database model this does not easy the migration at all.
4) Functionality - at least for SD 4.5 the migration tools had severe issues with non-ASCII characters.
Make your own conclusion...
04-27-2009 07:00 AM
I agreed, HP is not doing great job in the migration tools, some of the pretty straightforward functions failed to run. However, with help from consulting on site or remotely, it is possible to do it in about 1~3 months, it really depends one your organization size and budget.
1. The closed servicecall/incident/change won't be moved over. You can run the scenario manually if you want to only part of them, i.e., only migrate CI/Change. The final move could take 1-2 days.
2. DB Rule/UI Rule/Email. If you can find qualified consultant who know both OVSD/HPSM, this could be done in a week or something.
3. You might spend most of the migration time to do custom code/mapping, however, you do not have to use a consultant to do it.
07-02-2009 06:37 AM
and what are you doing with different functional logic in SD and SM. For example in SD we use Service calls, which can be classified like incidents, information requests and so on. IN SM you have to use interections which can not be customized (?) and incidents, so 2 objects.
07-02-2009 10:51 AM