How to count total records associated with specific locations automatically? (648 Views)
Regular Advisor
T0mTran
Message 1 of 9 (648 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to count total records associated with specific locations automatically?

Hi everyone,

Does TRIM have any feature that gives us information on:

1) Number of active Users,

2) total number of Electronic Object associated with each active user/organization

3) Total size of those records

If it is possible, I'm hoping to generate a report monthly to monitor users' storage usage.

Thank you,

Tom

Advisor
Grant
Message 2 of 9 (620 Views)

Re: How to count total records associated with specific locations automatically?

Hi Tom,

The short answer is that "out of the box", no, TRIM doesn't provide reports/statistics like this.  However, reporting on all of these is doable from the database (plus a few of the audit/activity logs depending on your preferences), in pretty much any combination of user/location/activity/records/volume/size you might be interested in.  I've got some examples I can share.

When you say you're after active users, do you mean tracking who has used the system over a period of time (e.g. that day, over a week/month, etc), or who is "logged in"?  The latter is not particularly useful/relevant given the web/sharepoint interfaces for TRIM having different login semantics, plus the desktop integrations that only log in briefly to complete check-out, search and similar tasks.

G.

Regular Advisor
T0mTran
Message 3 of 9 (613 Views)

Re: How to count total records associated with specific locations automatically?

Grant,

You are right! I'm more interested in people who use the system over a period of time.

I would love to be able to tell monthly how many news users have been added or made inactive. As you can already guess, we're in charge of monitoring database performance but not the data input.

Tom

Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 4 of 9 (598 Views)

As above, there's no real built-in features to run this kind of reporting.

You can (depending on version) see how many users are actively connected to TRIM but looking in the TES > Workgroup > Properties > Users, but there's no way to record/save this data and it's not that useful for any time longer than 'right now'.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Regular Advisor
T0mTran
Message 5 of 9 (591 Views)

Grundy,

Thanks for the confirmation.

How about the total amount of storage each user is using? Do we have a way to calculate that number automatically?

Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 6 of 9 (583 Views)

Storage in what way?

Local cache for the client? Or total file size in the TRIM document store?

You could check the local cache sizes individually, but for store usage, there's no simple way to do this.

e.g. What specifies user specific 'usage'? Created by? Assigned to? Checked In by? etc...

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Regular Advisor
T0mTran
Message 7 of 9 (571 Views)

Grundy,

Assume our HR department is using TRIM to store their documents, then how do I know exactly how much space in our server TRIM uses to store these documents?

To monitor the sizes of all documents created by users from HR department, I'm making their default Home Location HR department location. Is there any problem with this that I can't see?

Valued Contributor
brian-b
Message 8 of 9 (565 Views)

Tom,

We do this in Crystal with the query below.  We group and sum by Owner Location to get the result.  It doesn't account for renditions or revisions, but gives us a good idea of storage use by Owner Location (bureau/division/etc.).

SELECT "TSRECELEC"."uri", "TSRECELEC"."reBytes", "TSRECLOC"."rlLocType", "TSLOCATION"."lcName", "TSRECORD"."recordId"
 FROM   (("TrimTest"."dbo"."TSRECELEC" "TSRECELEC" INNER JOIN "TrimTest"."dbo"."TSRECORD" "TSRECORD" ON "TSRECELEC"."uri"="TSRECORD"."uri") INNER JOIN "TrimTest"."dbo"."TSRECLOC" "TSRECLOC" ON "TSRECORD"."uri"="TSRECLOC"."rlRecUri") INNER JOIN "TrimTest"."dbo"."TSLOCATION" "TSLOCATION" ON "TSRECLOC"."rlLocUri"="TSLOCATION"."uri"
 WHERE  "TSRECLOC"."rlLocType"=2
 ORDER BY "TSLOCATION"."lcName"

Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 9 of 9 (550 Views)

Yep, Brian has the right idea.

You will need to select the records from the DB based on your criteria (Owner = HR?), then sum the reBytes value from TSRECELEC for all those records.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.