Re: Execute Saved Search on Client Start-up (233 Views)
Occasional Contributor
jsteinmetz
Message 1 of 7 (300 Views)
Accepted Solution

Execute Saved Search on Client Start-up

I know this isn't an option at the moment, but I was curious about the feasibility of implementing something like this in a future release and what fellow TRIM users and admins thought of it.

Our idea is to allow users to execute a saved search (or a manually entered string based search) on client startup. We've created dynamic saved searches that we distribute with our certificates of completion for TRIM training; the one we've found most helpful is "owner:myunit and type:folder". This immediately displays every container created by anyone in the user's section, not just my containers or those that they've added to their favorites. Clicking the kwik-select would bring up the list of saved searches, and selecting a saved search would display the search string, which would be editable. You could create any number of valuable saved searches to display on startup, such as "creator:myorganization+ and regisiteredon:this week", etc.

On a simpler note, we thought just adding the option to display saved searches on startup would be useful, too =)

Jason

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Greg Fraser_1
Message 2 of 7 (275 Views)

Re: Execute Saved Search on Client Start-up

Sounds like a reasonable idea, you can request an enhancement request through the support desk to have this added as functionality.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard**
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
emTRIM
Message 3 of 7 (243 Views)

Excellent idea, Jason.

In the meantime, you could create .tr5 files for your saved searches, save them to user's desktops, start menus etc and have it that instead of your users directly opening Desktop/Context, they just open that .tr5 saved search instead.

In that way, TRIM/RM8 'starts up' with the saved search each and every time...

Just putting it out there...
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Tamara Hoagland
Message 4 of 7 (233 Views)

I was going to suggest the same option as emTRIM... See info below on updating the search as needed.

Save a reference file of the desired Saved Search to the user's Desktop. Then user can hit the F7 key to refine the search criteria. We have a number of users who perform this type of function and are used to entering TRIM via this method.

Regards,

Tamara

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
emTRIM
Message 5 of 7 (217 Views)

How did you go with this, Jason?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
jsteinmetz
Message 6 of 7 (213 Views)

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. We've actually been using references for a while with good success.

The idea here was to set a dynamic search to launch on startup and save it with our other global configurations. Then any user running TRIM for the first time (and thereafter) will immediately see the folders previously created by their organization.

I apprecaite the feedback; I'll submit an enhancement request and post back the results.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
emTRIM
Message 7 of 7 (197 Views)

All good, Jason.

It is a good enhancement request, and I hope HP will implement this in future releases...
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation