Disabling Check In Documents Message (565 Views)
Frequent Advisor
BCCI
Message 1 of 5 (565 Views)
Accepted Solution

Disabling Check In Documents Message

How do we disable the "Check In Documents" Message?

The message says:

The following doucments are no longer in use by the authoring application and seem to be candidates to Check In to HP TRIM.

Thank you for your assistance.

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 2 of 5 (544 Views)

Re: Disabling Check In Documents Message

The message was added for good reason. With the increasing number of customers insisting on redirecting TRIM's Offline Records to network drives came a corresponding increase in the number of customers logging support cases about issues such as losing their changes to documents and having documents automatically checked in while they thought they were still editing them. This sort of issue is the result of TRIMWatcher detecting that the document is no longer under the control of the authoring application, hence automatically checking the document back in. This scenario can be caused by temporary loss of connection between TRIM and the document in the offline records network location. In 7.1, the user is notified if and when such a situation exists, and given the choice of how to proceed. This also gives the customer the opportunity to address the issue at the time it's occurring and educate the users as to the reasons for the message and action to be taken.

If a customer were to turn off this dialog box it should only be done on the understanding that the customer is accepting responsibility for the consequences, and will perform exhaustive troubleshooting in-house in this type of situation when Offline Records is located on a network drive. In most cases HP Support will be unable to tell you why a user lost their changes to a document or had it checked back into TRIM when they thought they were still working on it, as there is no evidence available after the fact to pinpoint the actual reason.

It is possible, though not recommended, to disable this dialog box using a registry key on a per-user basis. Personally I'm not sure it's something HP want to publicise on a forum. I recommend logging a support case asking for instructions if you really do want to turn it off :-)

Neil

(Please state the version of TRIM/HPRM you're using in all posts)
Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HP.

HP Software Support Online (SSO): http://support.openview.hp.com
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
BCCI
Message 3 of 5 (513 Views)

Thank you so much for the information. I will pass it along to the client administrator, they can then decide how to proceed.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
BCCI
Message 4 of 5 (489 Views)

The client has decided not to disable.  Thank you!

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 5 of 5 (324 Views)

Re: Check In Documents Message

Hi all,

FYI, the development team agreed the check-in documents message is a little ambiguous, hence is causing some confusion for users. There is a redesign happening (with input from Support this time) for an upcoming TRIM release:

QCCR2D47010:  Edit function - 'Check in Documents' dialog box is confusing and needs redesign

Neil

(Please state the version of TRIM/HPRM you're using in all posts)
Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HP.

HP Software Support Online (SSO): http://support.openview.hp.com
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation