Re: inconsistent search behavior (154 Views)
Advisor
TL_1
Message 1 of 7 (294 Views)

inconsistent search behavior

When I search for a phrase in TRIM 7.1 using the string based search editor (example: content:"ABC Test") - I get 437 search results some of which do not contain the exact phrase.  When I use the search in the Find Records Pane Search By: Document Content -- Equal To: "ABC Test", I only get 145 search results.  This inconsistency does not make sense and I'd like to be sure of my search results.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 2 of 7 (263 Views)

Re: inconsistent search behavior

String searching looks at the record metadata, e.g. Title, Notes, Additional Fields.

Document Content searching looks at the actual content in your Word document or PDF for example and NOT the metadata.

Two very different search methods, so you should be getting different results. :)

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 3 of 7 (238 Views)

I just noticed you were running a 'Content:....' string search, so disregard the above!

We will need to test this to see what differences we can find. 

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Please use plain text.
Advisor
TL_1
Message 4 of 7 (163 Views)

Hello - am having inconsistent search results again string search editor vs. boolean.  The field I am searching on is an additional field - type Date. 

When I search for hits using the boolean editor, it works fine & I get data within the search range.

Ex: Begin Date = 1/1/1998

When I search for exact hits using the String-based search editor, it returns no results.

Ex: BeginDate:1/1/1998

I discovered this because I was searching for dates in a range ending on the last calendar day of the year. 12/31 -

When I search for BeginDate:1/1/1998 to 12/31/1998 - it returned records with Begin Dates that are 1/1/1999.  It seems to only go one calendar day past the 12/31 date. 

Does this have to do with how the string-based editor works with dates or with additional fields? 

Thanks,  

Please use plain text.
Advisor
TL_1
Message 5 of 7 (162 Views)

Also - i should note, I need to use the string-based search editor because it allows me to do a complex search using record type in one part of the logic statement. Unless this is possible in the boolean editor, but i didn't see a way to add record type to just part of the search criteria (i.e. not using the filter tab)
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 6 of 7 (156 Views)

Is it possible those records appearing one day ahead in time were entered in a different time zone?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 7 of 7 (154 Views)

I just tested and got the same results. I guess you just need to subtract one day from your date range. I bet it's because the time in the database in UTC and it's adding the extra day for time zone inclusion.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation