Time delay in checking in documents - TRIM 7 (866 Views)
Occasional Visitor
TRIM-User
Message 1 of 9 (866 Views)
Accepted Solution

Time delay in checking in documents - TRIM 7

Hi,

After upgrading from TRIM 6.2.4 to 7 (build 1.0.1132) we noticed a time delay in documents checking back in automatically? If you open a document from TRIM and close it again, it takes over 30 seconds to check back in?

Has anyone else experienced this, is it new to TRIM 7 or do we need to check our configuration?

Thanks

Honored Contributor
Sander Hoogwerf
Message 2 of 9 (831 Views)

Re: Time delay in checking in documents - TRIM 7

This issue exists also in the TRIM 6.2 releases, sometimes the checked in is immediately, sometimes it can take up to a minute.

R&D claims this is a windows "feature" they cannot work arround, so I'm not surprised that this issue still exists in TRIM 7 as well.

(Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be construed as an official statement by Hewlett Packard.)

Analytics & Data Management
Application & Business Services
HP Enterprise Services
Respected Contributor
Philip Harney
Message 3 of 9 (828 Views)

This has been the same ever since TRIM started doing automatic document check in's,  TRIM has a standard Hard coded wait in the program that could take between 30 seconds and 100 seconds, this is to make sure the application (lets say word) which has a handle on the document, releases the document so it can be copied/moved back to the workgroup server and back into the document store.

It was found in testing that if you try to grab the document too early the process would fail and the document could be left in offline records and at worst lost completely. so TRIM Watcher waits till word releases the document before trying the check in process. 

The reason for HP TRIM 7 taking longer then 6.2.4 etc, is because documents where still being lost so they added extra document checking to try and remove the chance of losing the document.

I dont believe 30 seconds to a 1 min wait time while a document is checked back in automatically should be an issue.  How often is it common work practices that with in 30 seconds of closing my document that someone tries to open it. 

Hope this helps a little in the understanding :)  

Occasional Visitor
TRIM-User
Message 4 of 9 (814 Views)

Thanks for your help Sander / Philip.

It helps a lot with the understanding indeed and at least now we have an answer.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor
Sander Hoogwerf
Message 5 of 9 (794 Views)

Philip Harney wrote:
I dont believe 30 seconds to a 1 min wait time while a document is checked back in automatically should be an issue.  How often is it common work practices that with in 30 seconds of closing my document that someone tries to open it.

This is a real problem when people are checking in documents and immediately send the document in an e-mail outside their organistion. Then this may be a big problem when an earlier revision is send out instead of the latest.

(Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be construed as an official statement by Hewlett Packard.)

HP Enterprise Services
Respected Contributor
Philip Harney
Message 6 of 9 (788 Views)

I havent Tested this, but doesnt it tell you if the document isnt the latest revision ?

if not then it should be raised as an enhancement.  The document you are sending isn the latest revision and is checked out to blah, If you have recently checked in please refresh and try again.   I suppose when you are waiting for somthing 30 seconds is forever.

I guess it's an annoyance that its not there straight away, but the work around is to train the user's who have this issue to 'Check Out' and 'Check In' ..

Honored Contributor
Sander Hoogwerf
Message 7 of 9 (782 Views)

TRIM sends the latest version (since the newest isn't checked in yet). And no it's not giving a warning that you still have the document checked out.

Manually checking out and in will work (in between the user has to search for a way to open the checked-out document, since you cannot open the document from the record view, only view the read-only copy), and that's quite some more steps  than using the Edit button.

And the harm is already done before you can train the fast users to pay more attention to this.

HP Enterprise Services
Advisor
Anne Phillips
Message 8 of 9 (754 Views)

TRIM 7.1.0.1150 - Finding users very frustrated at the time it takes for documents to check back in.  One user has TRIM freeze up on her as she bounces in and out of documents checking content.  Thanks for comments Sander - I will warn users  re the possibility of sending the wrong version of a document if they do not wait for check in process to complete.  Those having problems I have set up with a column in their search results showing who the document is checked out to so they can see that document is still checked out to them.  And yes, I have users who are manually checking documents back in as they just can't wait for TRIM to do it for them.   Excel documents are most annoying as after closing we receive an annoying message that the document is not longer in use and is a candidate for checking in !!

HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 9 of 9 (712 Views)

Anne Phillips wrote:

"...One user has TRIM freeze up on her as she bounces in and out of documents checking content..."

I wonder if it would help with this user getting her to use the HP TRIM client instead of TRIM Desktop? At least when she rapidly double-clicks lots of documents in the full client it will view rather than edit...

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HP.

(Please state the version of TRIM/HPRM you're using in all posts)

HP Software Support Online (SSO): http://support.openview.hp.com
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.