TRIM /SharePoint integration questions (888 Views)
Occasional Advisor
schwabg
Message 1 of 8 (888 Views)
Accepted Solution

TRIM /SharePoint integration questions

I have several questions about how TRIM/SharePoint integration works.

• How do I actually create a Lifetime Management Policy? I have found the SharePoint list which contains them, and can add items to it, but the options for creating these list items seem very limited. For instance how would I create a Lifetime Management policy that sends documents to TRIM immediately upon approval/publish?
  • What does it mean to configure TRIM integration for a site? Is it only a placeholder so taht lists can inherit settings from one central location? Surely the documents from TRIM can't go anywhere besides in lists
  • How do you make the copy of documents go both directions - TRIM->SP and SP->TRIM? How does it know not to get stuck in an infinite loop of copying documents back to TRIM that it just copied from TRIM?
  • I clicked on Management Details for an item, and it said if it went to TRIM it would go to container F/13/1234, but the library was configured to go to F/13/1235, where the heck did it come up with F/13/1234?
  • how do field values get matched between sharepoint and trim, like if they are choice fields or managed metadata that have set things they can be? is it just if they have the same text value? will it give errors if it cant match them?
  • why cant the "expose" settings inherit? why only the "Record Management Options"?

that's probably enough questions for now.

thank you

Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 2 of 8 (869 Views)

Re: TRIM /SharePoint integration questions

Do you have the SharePoint Integration Configuration Guide?

A lot of what you are asking is conceptual as well as technical, so you need to understand sharepoint structure, records management concepts and have a certain level of planning for what you want to achieve with the integration.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
HP Expert
Greg Fraser_1
Message 3 of 8 (863 Views)

Here are the documents that Grundy is talking about, might clear up some of the basics for you.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard**
Frequent Advisor
Simon Eve-Macleod
Message 4 of 8 (832 Views)

Hi

There is some useful information here as well.

http://www.imsharepoint.net/

Cheers

Simon

Occasional Advisor
schwabg
Message 5 of 8 (826 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, I have those documents (for version 7.2), but they are not very detailed. I understand SharePoint structure very well, and am somewhat familiar with Records Management concepts. I have also been through a training session on SharePoint/TRIM Integration (though it was several months ago and I've forgotten a lot of it).

The most important question which I am baffled about not being able to find an answer to is, how do I create a new Lifetime Management Policy? The Lifetime Management Policies list does not make any sense to me.

I am also a bit inexperienced with workflows in SharePoint, which might be the crux of this problem. I see that the columns that appear in that view are workflow status columns, but why would there be workflows for a configuration list? It's very... meta. Workflows on items that determine workflows on other items? I must be completely missing the point.

If there is a portion of either of those documents that explains this, I would be weclome to hear what page numbers I should be looking at.

Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 6 of 8 (804 Views)

Have a look at chapter 5 of this document. :)

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Regular Advisor
Owais-Haroon
Message 7 of 8 (766 Views)

Hi

I understand your point and questions, so to start with your Life Time Management question. This LTM is a workflow in SharePoint however this is a special type of workflow created by HP TRIM team. This is a template from which you can create further workflows. You would have noticed that  you create it from Document Library (top right corner).

I am sure you would have seen already available LTM based on time only (immediate, 1 Day etc) and I guess what you are asking is a Life Time Management based on SharePoint metadata such as if the Contract Value is >200 push immediately in TRIM or if the document is Approved by  Board Member then push it in TRIM else leave it in SharePoint.

This kind of a feature is not available from Out of the Box installation. However there are solutions (add-on) available to achieve such results.

I guess the best detailed guide and full explaination is given in documentation from 7.2 (even its old version but somehow it was very thorough. I also find 7.3.3 documentation is quite good). If you have any specific issue or would like to have it discussed in details to technically clarify things. You are most welcome to contact me directly.

regards,

Owais Haroon

Occasional Advisor
schwabg
Message 8 of 8 (699 Views)

Ha, and a month has gone by... That's what happens with projects sometimes I suppose

Yes thank you... that document for 7.3.* indeed seems a lot more detailed than the 7.2 document that I was looking at. Thank you very much.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.