Re: TRIM 7.3 EML email files and the viewer (2184 Views)
Super Advisor
JasonIMEX
Message 1 of 20 (2,531 Views)
Accepted Solution

TRIM 7.3 EML email files and the viewer

Hi TRIM crew

Just looking at the eml format for capturing emails.. It is quite horrible..

When viewing the older emails (vmbx or msg) and you view pdf attachments the viewer opens in the associated application..

In the case of EML files they seem to still open in the viewer.

Further more the eml files themselves are not openable at all. when trying to open one that has been super copied to the dekstop Outlook will open with the EML file as an attachment.

Let me know if anyone else out there has seen similar?  

Super Advisor
JasonIMEX
Message 2 of 20 (2,529 Views)

Re: TRIM 7.3 EML email files and the viewer

Oh also.. I know in older versions of trim you could capture native renditions..

I think that option has been moved to the TES.. Anyone mind letting me know exactly how to set that up now?
HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 3 of 20 (2,496 Views)

Hi Jason,

EML is a non-proprietary, industry standard e-mail format that has replaced both the vmbx (TRIM-proprietary) format in TRIM and the option to capture native mail renditions.

If you're seeing differences in the behaviour of the viewer, they're likely to be due to the fact that the viewer's now also changed from the old Outside-In viewer to Autonomy's KeyView.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HP.

(Please state the version of TRIM/HPRM you're using in all posts)

HP Software Support Online (SSO): http://support.openview.hp.com
Super Advisor
JasonIMEX
Message 4 of 20 (2,493 Views)

Yep seeing differences.. The main issue is when opening them they open as attachments in emails not to actually view them
Frequent Advisor
NZ-TRIM-Experts
Message 5 of 20 (2,490 Views)

Hi Jason,

I have just done some testing myself but do not seem to experience the same issue.  Attached is a PDF with teh screenshots I took in teh follwoing scenarios:

1) Drag and drop an email into TRIM (strangely this is saving it in TRIM as an MSG, is that what you expect Neil?)

This views fine in the viewpane and the attachment also opens in the viewpane

2) Save an email into TRIM through the integration and this saves it as an EML

This views fine in the viewpane and the attachment also opens in the viewpane

I tried it with the latest TRIM 7.3.2 so there may be a slight difference.  Can you check your Viewer settings under the user options.  In my test I had PDF in there to open with the associated application.

Hopefully this helps.

Peter Haar

InfocentriK Helpdesk

P (+64) 04 – 566 1115
E support@infocentrik.co.nz
W www.infocentrik.co.nz

InfocentriK Limited
PO Box 31139
Lower Hutt 5040
HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 6 of 20 (2,471 Views)

Peter Haar wrote:

"...Drag and drop an email into TRIM (strangely this is saving it in TRIM as an MSG, is that what you expect Neil?)..."

What I'd expect? Yes. What it really should do? No. There's an enhancement request in the system to have this behaviour changed in a future release:

QCCR2D45994: TRIM drag and Drop from Outlook - store email message as eml file

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HP.

(Please state the version of TRIM/HPRM you're using in all posts)

HP Software Support Online (SSO): http://support.openview.hp.com
Super Advisor
JasonIMEX
Message 7 of 20 (2,465 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hey NZ.. Yep on 7.3.1 here.. Perhaps it displays differently in the viewer instead of the preview pane as well.

But looking further into it looks like it could actually be an OS issue rather than a TRIM view one. IE windows does not associate EML with outlook properly

lwg
Frequent Visitor
lwg
Message 8 of 20 (2,452 Views)

Outlook 2007 only added support for EML in Service Pack 2(?), and to use it, you need to open with the "/eml" parameter, which involves modifying association in the registry on all the clients (i.e. Group Policy etc.):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956693

It's annoying that this parameter is required, but it's no longer required on Outlook 2010 at least.
TRIM Version 7.3.1.5352
Regular Advisor
Ralf_Wegener
Message 9 of 20 (2,412 Views)

I recall reading another thread regarding .EML and viewing saved emails by launching (e.g. view in native default .eml application). Depending on the version of exchange 2010; attachments and screendumps are not visible when viewing in outlook and Keyview (which gives the impress the saved .eml is corrupt but in fact it's not). There are  options:

1. Disable "Use Cached Exchanged Mode"

2. Update Exchange 2010 to SP1 /2 or rollup to latest KB.

Not sure about 2007 though and it's not necessarily a TRIM bug.

Regular Advisor
Ralf_Wegener
Message 10 of 20 (2,409 Views)

Correction:

1. Disable "Use Cached Exchanged Mode"

should be 1.

Enable "Use Cached Exchanged Mode"
Frequent Advisor
Ron Hook
Message 11 of 20 (2,404 Views)

Hi Jason.

I have Trim 7.3.0 and Windows 7.

I solved the problem by Tools, Options, Viewer , Add EML to the Bypass Viewer list as an associated application. An email will then open in Outlook.

Ron.

Frequent Advisor
tbanera
Message 12 of 20 (2,389 Views)

We are having the same type of issue.  We are running 32 bit XP.  We have yet to find a reg fix that works for us.

We received acknowledgement from HP support that "Basically if you drag and drop an email into TRIM, TRIM will be creating a new record based on this email with the msg format (file type from Outlook) but if you catalog an email using the TRIM Add-in from Outlook, TRIM will be creating a record with the eml file type that you mentioned in the case"

The advised R & D is aware of this behavior and they are looking at changing it in a future release.

If someone has a trick for XP and EML Outlook 2007 let me know.  For now we will open .msg and .vmbx with native and EML in the viewer.

Thanks.

Frequent Advisor
tbanera
Message 13 of 20 (2,386 Views)

Just tried the reg fix that was in the thread and seems to work for XP SP 3 Outlook 2007 and 7.3.1.  I am testing it now.

Thanks.

Tim

Super Advisor
JasonIMEX
Message 14 of 20 (2,252 Views)

Yep Registry fix ended up fixing this one for me.. Kind of a round about way of doing it and not really related to TRIM at all but the way Windows opened the EML files
Advisor
Jason Bywater
Message 15 of 20 (2,184 Views)

Reg hack worked for xp & Outlook 2007, has anyone worked out a fix for Win 7 & Outlook 2007 (SP3)

Jason
Super Advisor
JasonIMEX
Message 16 of 20 (2,098 Views)

Hi Jason
The reg fix should work for win7 machines aswell. As it has more to do with how windows opens the EML files.
Advisor
Phil_The
Message 17 of 20 (2,024 Views)

[ Edited ]

Howdy,

During our 7.3.1.5352 upgrade back in June '13, we ultimately used the attached reg fix to associate EML files with Outlook (couldn't find the one mentioned in another thread).

Platform: Windows 7 32 bit with Outlook 2007 SP3.

Cheers, Phil.

Super Advisor
JasonIMEX
Message 18 of 20 (1,704 Views)

Yep thats the one
Super Advisor
JasonIMEX
Message 19 of 20 (1,536 Views)

Sorry guys.. Just to dredge this one up again as it seems to surface on pretty much all upgrades post 7.1 (I think)

Its kind of a triple hitter with all three scenarios needing to be addressed.

1) .Eml files are to be opened by outlook by default. normally a windows mail format.
2) EMl files need to be added to the view options to open in associated application.
3) registry fix as posted above.
Occasional Visitor
Bratt_Jackson
Message 20 of 20 (715 Views)

I recommend you to utilize "OST Viewer" Software, It is a FREE of Cost and will give you the preview of all OST items with their attachments.

You can get it from here:- http://tools.mboxviewer.com/outlookost.html

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.