TRIM 7.3.4 adding new Viewer File Type (568 Views)
Advisor
Caroline Hodkinson
Message 1 of 7 (568 Views)

TRIM 7.3.4 adding new Viewer File Type

We encountered the issue with TRIM 7 and .eml and found the fix in another post here.

However, now that I have associated my Outlook 2007 with .eml, how do I add .eml to the TRIM Rich Client so TRIM knows to open .eml with Outlook and not the TRIM Viewer?  

I can save .eml to the TRIM Global Settings - however, only new TRIM users will GetGlobal. 

Or how do I script GetGlobal but only to get the "Viewers to use when displaying electronic documents" and not all Global settings?  (I do not want to remove any settings the user might have already created for himself.)

I tried editing the Windows 7 Registry to add eml to the BypassFor key

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\Viewer]
           "BypassFor"="lnk url hlp mpg mpeg msg tr5 pdf doc xls eml"

but that did not seem to add it to TRIM - my .eml in TRIM still opens in the TRIM Viewer.

Any help, advise or tips, is appreciated.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 2 of 7 (508 Views)

Re: TRIM 7.3.4 adding new Viewer File Type

Hi Caroline,

It worked for me just adding EML to the bypass list in the user options and setting it to "Associated application". See attached screen shot.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HP.

(Please state the version of TRIM/HPRM you're using in all posts)

HP Software Support Online (SSO): http://support.openview.hp.com
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Caroline Hodkinson
Message 3 of 7 (502 Views)

Thanks, Neil.

I can manually add eml to the TRIM 7 Rich Client and that will work.

However, I am looking for an automated way to add eml to every user's TRIM 7 Rich Client so I don't have to visit every user.

I think now that TRIM saves the user's Client settings to the TRIM Database, that is why my adding eml to the HKLM Windows Registry does not add it to the user's TRIM 7 Client?

regards, Caroline 

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sander Hoogwerf
Message 4 of 7 (496 Views)

I noticed in the BypassFor you didn't have a space after the eml. Don't know how sensitive TRIM is in that, but you could try adding an extra space.

(Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be construed as an official statement by Hewlett Packard.)

Analytics & Data Management
Application & Business Services
HP Enterprise Services
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Caroline Hodkinson
Message 5 of 7 (474 Views)

Thanks, Sander.

I tested adding the space after the eml in the Windows Registry and restarting the computer but the TRIM Rich Client still did not associate the eml with Outlook.

I am now wondering if I can manually add it to the TRIM table on the backend - I notice when I manually remove the eml association from Options-->Viewer within my TRIM Client that this removal is reflected on the TRIM Client on my other computer as well.  If it is not being written to the Windows Registry, it must be written to a TRIM table.

Thanks   

regards, Caroline  

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 6 of 7 (466 Views)

Hi Caroline,

You're right in that the viewer bypass settings are now stored in the database as XML. Here's an example of the SQL issued when you add the eml file type to the viewer bypass options in a TRIM client:

DELETE FROM TSXMLDATA WHERE (  xpForUserUri = 1169 AND  xpConfigItemType = 6 AND  xpObjectType = 0 )

INSERT INTO TSXMLDATA (uri,xpForUserUri,xpConfigItemType,xpObjectType,xpTextChunk,xpText,xpLength,xpLastUpdated) VALUES (2811,1169,6,0,0,N'<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!--Viewer-->
<UserOptions Id="6" Name="viewer"><PropertyOrFieldList><Property Id="8073" Caption="When viewing mail messages and a native mail rendition exists, launch the associated application">Yes</Property><Property Id="8070" Caption="File Types to view by launching associated application">lnk;url;hlp;mpg;mpeg;msg;pdf;jp2;eml</Property></PropertyOrFieldList></UserOptions>
',404,'201402190520101')

Perhaps it'd be easier to roll it out via global settings?

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HP.

(Please state the version of TRIM/HPRM you're using in all posts)

HP Software Support Online (SSO): http://support.openview.hp.com
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Caroline Hodkinson
Message 7 of 7 (460 Views)

Thanks, Neil - yes, I would not want to write that SQL!

Here's another thing I tried:- 

1)   manually add the eml association to my TRIM Rich Client

2)   copy the      viewer.cfg       xml file from (on Windows 7)

C:\Users\%User Name%\AppData\Roaming\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\%DBID%\Configuration\viewer.cfg

to the user's computer - the user is the one I want to "automatically" add the eml association to their TRIM Client.

I tested this on 1 user and it seems to work ie the eml is added to their TRIM Client.   If this works, I can script the copying of the   viewer.cfg  file to each user.   The risk is I could potentially remove other File Type associations that the user may have added themselves.  

I will do more testing.

PS.  I am probably spending too much time on this - could have finished manually updating the TRIM Client on all my users' computers by now!

regards, Caroline

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation