Re: Save new MS Office document to TRIM - behaviour (448 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Shameer Ummer
Message 1 of 9 (462 Views)

Save new MS Office document to TRIM - behaviour

Hello,

We are using TRIM 7.2.1.

When a new MS Word 2007 document is saved in TRIM, a new record will not be created unless the MS Word application is exited. Just closing the document leaving Word application open is not enough to create the record. I believe that this is the intended behaviour. Can anyone kindly point me to any HP documentation that states this as the intended behaviour?

Regards

Shameer

Valued Contributor
emTRIM
Message 2 of 9 (448 Views)

Re: Save new MS Office document to TRIM - behaviour

Shameer, yes as you surmised this is a known behaviour.

You might want to read through:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Client-Support/Check-in-Behavior-in-TRIM-7-1/td-p/5354229

I believe there are a few other similar threads floating around this forum as well.

As for a reference in an 'official' HP document, hopefully one of the fine forum members here can assist you...
Frequent Advisor
Shameer Ummer
Message 3 of 9 (419 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks emTRIM. I appreciate your response. But I will need some official documentation to support it.

Regards

Shameer

Valued Contributor
emTRIM
Message 4 of 9 (403 Views)

All good, Shameer.

Perhaps you might want to approach HP support directly to get your official documentation...
Frequent Advisor
Shameer Ummer
Message 5 of 9 (394 Views)

Hi emTRIM,

Please do not get me wrong. I needed official documentation because I am working on an issue along with our vendor.

Regards

Shameer

Valued Contributor
emTRIM
Message 6 of 9 (391 Views)

No offense or anything negative taken at all, Shameer. My apologies if I came across as negative. That was not my intention.

I really do hope the you get official documentation from HP... and if you do get it, it would be great if you shared it here for others as well.

All the best, Shameer. :)
HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 7 of 9 (372 Views)

Shameer Ummer wrote:

Thanks emTRIM. I appreciate your response. But I will need some official documentation to support it.

Hi Shameer,

I don't think any official documentation exists saying this is 'intended' behaviour. It'd be more accurate to say it's 'unavoidable' behaviour due to the way MS Word 2007 works.

The way TRIM works is TrimWatcher runs on the client, monitoring when the authoring application releases its 'handle' on the document. TRIM can't take control of the document and check it in until this happens. If Word doesn't release the document until Word itself is closed, then that's when TRIM will be able to check it in.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HP.

(Please state the version of TRIM/HPRM you're using in all posts)

HP Software Support Online (SSO): http://support.openview.hp.com
Frequent Advisor
Shameer Ummer
Message 8 of 9 (350 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks Neil.

BTW, I wanted to accept yours and emTRIM's posts as solutions. But it  looks like I can accept only one post as the solution. 

Shameer

Valued Contributor
emTRIM
Message 9 of 9 (324 Views)

Actually, multiple solutions in a thread should be possible... might be something for the forum admin to think about implementing...
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.