Re: Restricting available container types based on classification (398 Views)
Visitor
BrisbaneMike
Message 1 of 11 (407 Views)
Accepted Solution

Restricting available container types based on classification

Hi All,

Can anyone confirm (or otherwise shatter my hopes of) whether it is possible to restrict the types of containers that can be created within a specified classification or term within the Classification structure?

For example, my organisation uses containers of types 'Corporate Files' and 'Client Files'. Client Files are created automatically via integration with another application - staff cannot manually create them, which allows us to enforce certain attributes and metadata standards, however to get around this control staff are creating Corporate Files in the Client Cases classifications of our file plan.

I realise that one possible solution might be the application of an electric cattle prod to the posteriors of the non-complying staff, but WHS and all that...

BTW, we're on 7.2.

Any ideas? Anyone?

Thanks,

Mike

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 2 of 11 (398 Views)

Re: Restricting available container types based on classification

You cannot restrict record types by classification.  Best you can do is adjust the "Can Use" access control for the classification so that only the integration can do it.  Though that wouldn't work if the integration is running in the context of a user (as opposed to a generic integration account).

Please use plain text.
Visitor
BrisbaneMike
Message 3 of 11 (358 Views)

Thanks EWillsey.

Next question... does HP have a 'suggestions box', and how big is it?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 4 of 11 (356 Views)

You mean a place to submit enhancement requests?  If so, yes.  Just submit a ticket and indicate it's an enhancement request.  I don't think they published how many are in there.  From personal experience it takes a while for them to be acknowledged.  And that doesn't mean they'll tell you if they decide to implement it. :)

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Greg Fraser_1
Message 5 of 11 (345 Views)

Yep. Definitely log a support case and request the enhancement as Erik has suggested.

Enhancements go up for review periodically and get rated on how many requests they have had for the change and how important it is. Sometimes they can go through quickly, others that are minor changes and would only really suit a handful of sites might be delayed for an extended amount of time.

Always log them through with a business case explaining the reason for the change. 

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard**
Please use plain text.
Advisor
MegAtr0n
Message 6 of 11 (319 Views)

You can restrict record types by classification however you may not own the module. The option (if available) is set in your system options, classification tab, "Restrict Records under a Classification to a single Record Type" - select to allow only records of one Record Type under any one Classification. You then have the option of selecting bypass this option for paper files. Once selected a new field is exposed on the classification form "Restrict to record type".

Now we found this too restrictive as you can only lock down the classification to 1 electronic file/container type. A better option for us was to select a starting classification on the record type (general tab). Plus you can select "all records must be within this business classification" which locks the record type to the class. Alternatively you can leave this unselected and it just becomes a starting classification.

Hope this helps

Please use plain text.
Advisor
MegAtr0n
Message 7 of 11 (315 Views)

The module you require is called "Alternate Classification"

Please use plain text.
Visitor
BrisbaneMike
Message 8 of 11 (308 Views)

Megatron, you're a champion! This is exactly what we're after. I was sure I'd seen it in the system options at other sites and during training in the past, but was buggered if I could find it on my own system. I thought it must have been a different version I'd seen it on.

Looks like I'm going module shopping!

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 9 of 11 (303 Views)

Good point Megatron.  Unfortunately it's not a standard module.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
BrisbaneMike
Message 10 of 11 (273 Views)

Megatron, apparently this isn't a genuine HP module - I haven't been able to Google it either. Would you know who wrote/provides it?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 11 of 11 (269 Views)

It is a module, though not readily available in 7.x. I believe it's available in RM8 though (depending on your license).
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation