Putting different retention schedule on both records and containers (539 Views)
Regular Advisor
T0mTran
Message 1 of 9 (539 Views)

Putting different retention schedule on both records and containers

One of the reason we want to try this setup is so that the contained records will get destroyed before container, and when the last record is destroyed, we will destroy the container.

This setup seems to cause problems with the Event Triggers processor, especially when we do retention schedule recalculation.

Is it possible?

Thank you,

Tom

Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 2 of 9 (524 Views)

Re: Putting different retention schedule on both records and containers

It's entirely possible and frequent.  Though you can't destroy a document without taking it out of its container.  So not sure what you mean by destroying the container when the last document gets destroyed.  Why not just delete the container then? 

Exactly what problem are you getting with the SET processing?

Regular Advisor
T0mTran
Message 3 of 9 (468 Views)

[ Edited ]

Basically, I want to folder is the last item to get destroyed.

The jobs seem to be too complicated that the processor cannot even process them.

Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 4 of 9 (465 Views)

If you could clarify what you mean, we might be able to advise.  Folders can indeed handle multiple schedules contained within.  

Regular Advisor
T0mTran
Message 5 of 9 (464 Views)

Ok, let me try to give you an example:

Say my schedule is "Destroy 5 years after Date Closed". I put it on both several document records and a folder. The folder contains all of the document records. My idea is I'm gonna put more documen records in that folder. Records have different Date Closed so they will get destroyed over times when the folder remains. The folder will be closed when the last contained record is closed, making the folder the last to be destroyed.

Does that make sense?

Right now none of the contained record have a Date Closed yet, and when the processor tries to calculate the retention schedule, it chokes.

Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 6 of 9 (456 Views)

Ok, with that example:

1. What's the point of the schedule on the folder?
  2. Does the folder have a container? 
  3. If so, what's the schedule on that container and does that container record type have "records of this type have no explicit schedule" enabled?
  4. When you save a document into the folder it will queue 2 SET's (one for the document and one for the container).  the document SET is insignificant because there's no real logic to it (unless for some reason it itself is also a container).  The container SET will check the trigger on the schedule and then check each contained item, ONLY if the trigger is based on a field which has a value or based on fields of contained items (like last action date of content).  If the trigger is on date closed and there is no date closed, it exits because there's nothing to check (it hasn't been closed).
  5. 7.1 has some issues processing SETs.  But how those impact this scenario depends on other configuration settings.
Regular Advisor
T0mTran
Message 7 of 9 (437 Views)

1. The schedule comes from classification. We are discussing about removing only the schedule from the containers.

2. In many situations, yes.

3. That could happen, but I don't think they wil cause problem.

4. Great info! Thanks! I'll test this.

5. Got it. I'm testing it with 7.3.3 to see if there is any issue there.

Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 8 of 9 (433 Views)

#3 is important as it changes the operational behavior of the SET on containers.
Regular Advisor
T0mTran
Message 9 of 9 (392 Views)

we decided to have put retention schedules on only one level, whichever the situation requires.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.