Outlook screen cannot be minimized (814 Views)
Advisor
FlinBin
Message 1 of 12 (814 Views)

Outlook screen cannot be minimized

We have a request from Executive assistants (EA). They are heavy TRIm users cataloguing emails of VP. Often their cataloguing is interrupted midway by someone requesting VP's appointment. The EAs are not in a position to access calendar or check emails, because they have not completed the cataloguing process. The only option with them is to cancel the catalog and attend to the interrupter and restart cataloguing. Most of the time they might have filled 90% of the form. This has been annoying them a lot. Is there a way to minimize the new record registration screen?

Thanks

HP Expert
Greg Fraser_1
Message 2 of 12 (811 Views)

Re: Outlook screen cannot be minimized

I'm not sure that I follow what is happening, are you able to provide some steps and some screenshots so I can get a clearer picture?

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard**
Advisor
FlinBin
Message 3 of 12 (801 Views)

I will try again..

Now I am in the process of saving an email to TRIM. When the new record form is open (as attached), I cannot do any operations in outlook, like looking in to calendar or searching for emails.As can be seen the minimise button is disabled.

The only option with me is to complete the registeration or cancel it. Can I minimise the screen somehow?

My apologies if I am not clear enough...

Advisor
FlinBin
Message 4 of 12 (799 Views)

Now attached

HP Expert
Greg Fraser_1
Message 5 of 12 (796 Views)

Thanks for that, I'm following now.

Sounds like intended behavior to me, the TRIM registration form has priority and as I understand it must be completed or cancelled.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard**
Advisor
FlinBin
Message 6 of 12 (788 Views)

Thanks Greg..

Valued Contributor
emTRIM
Message 7 of 12 (775 Views)

Hello, FlinBin.

I share your EAs pain... I'm often 'interrupted' during the Outlook registration process as well.

However, this is a known behaviour and I do not believe anything can be done about it. Happy to be proved wrong by another forum member.

I guess, knowing that this behaviour cannot be changed the challenge for your organisation now is to find ways to alleviate the frequency of these occurences.

Off the top of my head, you could look into:

1. The number of mandatory fields the EA's NEED to fill in before the registration process can complete. Can any of these fields be omitted? Or, if not omitted then filled in with a default value etc?

2. Do they only save to a few TRIM/RM8 containers? If yes, maybe they can explore setting up dedicated Outlook folders for each container, linking those folders to the appropriate TRIM container and then dragging/dropping emails into these Outlook folders to start an auto registration process... again, depending on the scenario, you could fully automate it so that the EA does not even have to touch the email after dragging/dropping it.

3. If nothing can be done to speed up/automate the registration process then it might have to come down to a revision in the way these emails are saved into your system.., perhaps something like seeing whether the EA's can set aside a block of time each day (or week) to do their 'trimming'.

Just thinking out loud here...
Frequent Advisor
Adam_Ledwos
Message 8 of 12 (761 Views)

Not sure whether it is an option for you - I keep an Outlook Web Client open for calendaring.

Adam
Advisor
FlinBin
Message 9 of 12 (722 Views)

Thanks emTRIM for your thoughts.

Option 1 is how  we are currently managing. The mandatory fields are TITLE and FILE#. The EAs are given a temporary folder which they use to temporarily hold the email. By the end of the day they have to make sure the emails in the temporary folder is moved to correct folders.

Please continue your loud thinking...

Thanks

Advisor
FlinBin
Message 10 of 12 (721 Views)

Thanks Adam,

I have tried it. But have seen that TRIM integration plays up a lot if it has more than one session of outlook open.

We are at 7.1.1132 and Outlook 2010.

I am interested in knowing how you are managing wiht 2 sessions. and what version?

Thanks

HP Expert
Greg Fraser_1
Message 11 of 12 (719 Views)

I ahve encounted issues when running 2 sessions of Outlook and the TRIM integration turned on. I believe this has reported in the past and is listed a known limitation for TRIM.

Valued Contributor
emTRIM
Message 12 of 12 (710 Views)

FlinBin,

I'm wondering if many of these emails the EA's are registering into TRIM should actually be going into TRIM? In others words, are they true records or are many of these saved into TRIM just because it has become a habit to do so, or 'thats how its always been done'?

I'm just thinking out loud (again) on potentially decreasing the number of emails that actually need to be saved into the system...
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.