Re: Last Action Date being updated on view of record Metadata (1524 Views)
Advisor
MatthewWilson
Message 1 of 17 (1,693 Views)

Last Action Date being updated on view of record Metadata

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to streamline a stocktaking process as much as I can.   I've created ~30k records to correspond to business case records, and we're hiring minions to work through the stacks and associate boxes and barcodes with those records.

I'm finding that simply viewing one of these FILE records can cause a dialog to appear which says:

"Do you want to save the changes made to the FILE '<recordid>'"

This pops up when the user selects "ok" or "cancel", but only if they first select one of the non-default form pages (they don't have to enter anything, just viewing it is enough).   Looking at the server logs, it seems that update behind the scenes is to tsrecord.syslastupdated (which then causes three rows to be added to TSEVENTDAT, the first of which is a 24 = recalculate disposition events" and the other two being 1 = Object Modified)

I don't understand why this update is happening.   It doesn't happen in our staging environment, and I can't see what the difference is.   In staging, there's no popup (and no update) unless a field is actually changed.    I've been through the user and system options, and the record type settings, and they appear to be identical.   We also have "Schedule Event Trigger" event handling set to "do not process" in both environments.

If I could make this dialog not appear, that would be a small but significant win for staff stress levels.   Can anyone think of anything I can try?   Or suggest any thoughts as to why just viewing the metadata of a record would trigger an event type 24?

Thanks!

Matt

Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 2 of 17 (1,691 Views)

Re: Last Action Date being updated on view of record Metadata

click Tools->HP TRIM Administration->System Options and see if the last checkbox is checked.  If so, uncheck it.  Does that resolve the problem?

Advisor
MatthewWilson
Message 3 of 17 (1,684 Views)

Hi EWillsey

Nope, it makes no difference ticked or unticked (I assume you mean "When viewing an electronic document: update the last action date of the record").   

HP Expert
Jason Boswell
Message 4 of 17 (1,672 Views)

Just a thought, you don't have an record or generic addins enabled in the external links area ?

Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 5 of 17 (1,655 Views)

I have seen this same problem. 

Might need to raise it with HP.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Valued Contributor
emTRIM
Message 6 of 17 (1,641 Views)

Matt, to clarify... you are saying that this bahaviour occurs only if a non-default form page/tab is first selected?

May I ask what is on that non-default form page? Screenshot, perhaps?

Are there any fields on there that is set to a particular default value through the Record Type settings, but somehow does not 'stick' when the record file properties is viewed and therefore TRIM thinks the record has been updated?

Thinking out loud....
Advisor
MatthewWilson
Message 7 of 17 (1,607 Views)

No add-ins, no.
Advisor
MatthewWilson
Message 8 of 17 (1,606 Views)

Hi guys.  Thanks for getting back to me.

I've attached a screenshot of the three user-input tabs (elided, for modesty).   It appears that selecting ANY tab from the properties page will cause this to happen - Provenance, Requests, Record Actions, Related Records, anything at all.   It seems to be triggered just by navigating away from the "General" tab.  

All the populated fields have correct values, and none of the others have any defaults (the mandatory fields are populated).

Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 9 of 17 (1,583 Views)

Try a different rec type in the same dataset and see if the problem exists still?

In my dataset here, some rec types have the issue, others don't...  I just need to spend some time figuring out what the trigger is.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Advisor
MatthewWilson
Message 10 of 17 (1,568 Views)

Very strange.    It doesn't happen in our staging environment, only production.    And if I press "OK" when it asks me if I want to save the "changes", it stops asking - i.e. after I've pressed ok I can open the record properties again, select a tab and press "cancel" without being asked for a second time whether I want to save the changes.

Unless ... I restart my TRIM client.   If I do restart my TRIM clent, then the first time I open the properties for the same record it will ask me whether to save the changes all over again.  

So it doesn't appear to be something that's stored in the database.   It's very very odd.

Advisor
MatthewWilson
Message 11 of 17 (1,564 Views)

Ok, different errors is progress ...

Somebody's added a couple of fields to the FILE record type in production - adding those to the record type in staging triggers the same behaviour.   Most as it happens.

Advisor
MatthewWilson
Message 12 of 17 (1,563 Views)

Stadard property - Date Due

That's the difference between the observed behaviour and not observed

Advisor
MatthewWilson
Message 13 of 17 (1,555 Views)

Make it read-only, issue goes away.   Looking like a solution ....

HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 14 of 17 (1,537 Views)

Strange. Something about the Date Due data in the client metadata cache? Would be interesting to capture any SQL issued when you say you do want to save the changes...

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HP.

(Please state the version of TRIM/HPRM you're using in all posts)

HP Software Support Online (SSO): http://support.openview.hp.com
Valued Contributor
emTRIM
Message 15 of 17 (1,524 Views)

Hi Matthew. Did you get a chance to follow up Neil's suggestion? Just curious...
HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 16 of 17 (1,510 Views)

Yeah it would be interesting...my thoughts are perhaps it's something unique about your Date Due data. E.g. maybe it's come across from an upgrade or migration or some other means as a NULL value in the field, but when it's loaded as part of a data entry form, TRIM's trying to save it as something else - perhaps a zero/blank value. A bit of a guess.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HP.

(Please state the version of TRIM/HPRM you're using in all posts)

HP Software Support Online (SSO): http://support.openview.hp.com
Valued Contributor
emTRIM
Message 17 of 17 (1,499 Views)

"Make it read-only, issue goes away. Looking like a solution ...."

Matthew, that might be the way to go for this particular exercise... but, you might still have the underlying issue of why this bahaviour is happening... might be another line in your 'To Do' list for the near future... any 'corruption' in the Last Action Date field could lead to complications with retention and disposal calculations, for example.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.