HPRM 8.0 Boolean search issue (1075 Views)
HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 1 of 5 (1,075 Views)

HPRM 8.0 Boolean search issue

Hi all,

I thought it worth mentioning that an issue has been discovered with the default Boolean search operators when using multiple words in a title/notes word search in HP Records Manager 8.0.

As you know, multiple words in such a search should be treated by default as an AND search. E.g. Entering "financial estimates 2014" (without the quotes) in a title word search should equate to financial AND estimates AND 2014.

However...in HPRM 8.0 the above search could actually be executed as 2014 AND (financial OR estimates)

A change request has been raised to have this issue addressed in an upcoming release:

QCCR2D50217: Title & Notes word searches - multiple word searches using wrong Boolean operators

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HP.

(Please state the version of TRIM/HPRM you're using in all posts)

HP Software Support Online (SSO): http://support.openview.hp.com
Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 2 of 5 (1,054 Views)

Re: HPRM 8.0 Boolean search issue

Thanks Neil, I just heard about this one yesterday. :)

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

Kapish.com.au
Frequent Advisor
NZ-TRIM-Experts
Message 3 of 5 (1,027 Views)

Hi Neil,

That is great to hear.  We had a feeling for quite some time that the searching for multiple words didn't quite do what you would expect but never got to the bottom of it.  We are getting inconsistent results for the same searches and when you then change the default search operator in the IDOL config files it behaves different again.

We also have found, and again not being able to get to the bottom of it yet, that you can get "strange" and unexpected results.  That however may be due to IDOL "intelligent" operating layer having a mind of its own.

On the positive side (a huge positive side), IDOL seems to work so much better than ISYS ever did and I'm sure we all get used to the new way of retrieving the information.

InfocentriK Helpdesk

P (+64) 04 – 566 1115
E support@infocentrik.co.nz
W www.infocentrik.co.nz

InfocentriK Limited
PO Box 31139
Lower Hutt 5040
HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 4 of 5 (1,002 Views)

To avoid confusion for others reading this thread, the title/notes searches where this issue is evident aren't using IDOL; rather a standard SQL query.

A workaround is to add separate lines in your search criteria and specify the AND operator for each. E.g.:

Title Word = financial

AND Title Word = estimates

AND Title Word = 2014

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HP.

HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 5 of 5 (999 Views)

Another workaround would be to change the system option 'Usage of IDOL search engine for Record search clauses'

(under: HP Records Manager Administration - System Options - Record tab)

to "Document Content, Record Titles and Record Notes" or "Use IDOL indexes where possible".

Assuming you're using IDOL with HPRM, and IDOL's configured to use the default Boolean operator 'AND', this should also give you the results you're after.

Neil

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.