Database Sizing Estimates in 7.34 Documentation (183 Views)
Advisor
MatthewWilson
Message 1 of 4 (183 Views)

Database Sizing Estimates in 7.34 Documentation

Hi Everyone.

This is just a random curiosity.   I'm reading the 7.34 Installation guide, and it estimates that database size should be estimated at roughly 5000 bytes per record.

We've had our system running about 8 or so years, we're currently running 7.1.0 (hence I'm reading the installation guide for 7.3) we've got ~8 million rows in TSRECORD (probably a tiny database compared with some).   Data + Indexes (on Oracle) now comes to ~60GB.

How does this compare with other people's mileage?   I'm purely curious - it's not, like, a problem or anything :-)

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 2 of 4 (176 Views)

Re: Database Sizing Estimates in 7.34 Documentation

That works out to around 7.85KB per records.  Sounds about right. :)

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

Kapish.com.au
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 3 of 4 (159 Views)

Those specs assume there's not a whole lot of online audit logging, heavy electronic usage (revisions), etc.  If you're moving towards using TRIM for a lot of electronic content (not just as a final respository, but rather an active/live system) then it bumps up to 3-4x the figure you've outlined.  As you destroy information this will go down, but the audit events don't go away. 

With RM8 there's even more in the online audit log.  So expect the database to get larger.

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 4 of 4 (140 Views)

EWillsey wrote:

...but the audit events don't go away. 

With RM8 there's even more in the online audit log.  So expect the database to get larger."

Yeah, since they removed the automatic management of the number of online audit events that used to happen in TRIM Captura, people are choosing to hoard online audit events indefinitely. I don't think I've seen one customer actually use the Data Cleanup function that was introuduced to replace it in TRIM Context. Perhaps HP should revisit the old system option that used to be called something like "Maximum online audit events per record"? From memory you could set it anywhere from 0-99.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HP.

(Please state the version of TRIM/HPRM you're using in all posts)

HP Software Support Online (SSO): http://support.openview.hp.com
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation