Re: Configuring 2 physical IDOL servers for TRIM 7.34.5739 (313 Views)
Trusted Contributor
Ralph_Furino
Message 1 of 5 (334 Views)

Configuring 2 physical IDOL servers for TRIM 7.34.5739

I am about to upgrade our TRIM version from 7.1.2.2017 to 7.34.5739 and have a question on configuring 2 physical servers with identical specs for IDOL:

2 x 2.53GHz processors

72GB RAM

24 processing cores

Several physical 15k RPM HD's with 400GB each

1st off, the documentation for IDOL that is included with TRIM 7.34.5739 should have included the IDOL documentation that was included with TRIM 7.21. This is a comprehensive guide to actually configuring IDOL. The name of the actual document is TRIM7 21_IDOLConfiguration.pdf. This document explains sizing recommedations, how to configure round robin and goes into great detail how to create additional content engines for the IDOL server.

I've read several threads on this forum and the links to the knowledge documents and nothing comes close to the explanation included in TRIM7 21_IDOLConfiguration.pdf.

My questions:

The document goes into great detail explaining how to add additional content engines on one server. What are the configurations if I am configuring 2 physical servers? (My specs above)

How does Server #1 in the  TRIM IDOL Service folder\TRIM IDOL Service.cfg file point to Server #2? I understand about selecting ports that are not in use for additional content engines that I create, but does Server #1 contain the folders for TRIM Content Service 1 & 2 and Server #2 contain the folders for TRIM Content Service 3 & 4?

(I am simplifying my example. I know that you can have 2 cores per content engine. With 24 cores I could have 12 content engines per server) Would I specify Server #2 in the [DAHEngine2] Host setting?

For example:

(This is these are the settings in the TRIM IDOL Service.cfg)

[DAHEngines]
Number=4

[DAHEngine0]
Host=SERVER1
Port=9100

[DAHEngine1]
Host=SERVER1
Port=9200

[DAHEngine2]
Host=SERVER2
Port=9300

[DAHEngine3]
Host=SERVER2
Port=9400

[DIHEngines]
Number=4

[DIHEngine0]
Host=SERVER1
Port=9100

[DIHEngine1]
Host=SERVER1
Port=9200

[DIHEngine1]
Host=SERVER2
Port=9300

[DIHEngine1]
Host=SERVER2
Port=9400

Would this TRIM IDOL Service.cfg file be in each C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\IDOL\TRIM IDOL Service location?

Would Server #1 contain the folders (And settings):

TRIM Content Service 1

TRIM Content Service 2

And Server #2 contain:

TRIM Content Service 3

TRIM Content Service 4

This is really where I am stumped. I guess this is how it would be configured?

Also, registering the newly created HP TRIM IDOL Content Service 3 & 4 in Windows Services is questionable also:

On Server #2, would I need to register HP TRIM IDOL Service 3 & 4? What do I do with HP TRIM IDOL Service 1 & 2 that are installed by default on Server #2?

Hope I got this right and explained everything clearly!

Thanks in advance,

Ralph

Trusted Contributor
Ralph_Furino
Message 2 of 5 (332 Views)

Re: Configuring 2 physical IDOL servers for TRIM 7.34.5739

This is the IDOL document that should have been included in 7.34.5739!

Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 3 of 5 (325 Views)

[ Edited ]

Basically you're on the right track. You'd update the IDOL Service configuration and indicate the server names for the various content services (12 on Server 1, 12 on Server 2). Since it's all communicating via HTTP ports the IDOL service doesn't particularly care about how those are implemented.

After you've installed the content services on server #2 you can unregister the services, move the actual files around on the disk drives, and then re-register the services. You'd also need to update the individual content service configuration files to point to their new homes.

There are also other things to fine tune, like the maximum number of returned records (configured at the IDOL service level and also within each engine), stop words, etc.

EDIT:

When you install TRIM on Server 2 you'll get everything.  But you don't necessarily need everything.  You just need the content engines (I'm assuming).  Heck, you don't even need TRIM necessarily (though not much reason to not put it on there, unless your number of records per day is crazy).  Remove what you don't need, duplicate the engines, registere them, and then tell the main IDOL service where they are (server name and port).

EDIT Again:

Forgot to say, yes you'd unregister #1/2 on Server2 because they'd be on the same drive by default. Move them to their new drives, then use one of them and copy it around for all of the other engines. Rename the files/folders and edit the configuration to reflect the changes.
Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 4 of 5 (313 Views)

Just to be 100% clear, you only need one primary IDOL service which you have installed in C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\IDOL\TRIM IDOL Service.

This can be on either/any server and this is the machine that the TES configuration points to.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

Kapish.com.au
HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 5 of 5 (309 Views)

You should also find these articles useful:

KM00387430 - HP TRIM IDOL (OEM) – Initial Setup Overview

KM00575784  -  Mirroring a HP TRIM IDOL environment for High Availability

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HP.

(Please state the version of TRIM/HPRM you're using in all posts)

HP Software Support Online (SSO): http://support.openview.hp.com
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.