Re: Problem with HP SSM - will not update bios on certain machines (408 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Jburgin
Message 1 of 3 (884 Views)

Problem with HP SSM - will not update bios on certain machines

[ Edited ]

My company recently decided to be more proactive our updates for BIOS (mainly for security purposes), we've decided to use HP SSM for this process since it seems to have a low learning curve. I am in charge of testing and the eventual implementation of the software updates with SSM.

SSM seems to work very well with newer machines (such as the dc5750 business desktop machines), but older machines (such as the d510 SFF and d530 SFF) are not behaving properly.

When we add the BIOS update for the above machines, update the file store and then run SSM in Update Mode, we can see in our logfiles that the update is recognized, but it is not applied. The error is listed as: ROM Flash Error code 0xF0 (FLASH_FAILED)

I have attached the log file for a machine that will not apply the bios update, it is a D510 SFF.

Any help is appreciated, I have tried to look up the error, but cannot find anything on it. If you require more info, please let me know. I will gladly search out whatever you need.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Application Integration Forum to HP SoftPaq Download Manager - HP Forums Moderator

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Erik  Blake
Message 2 of 3 (884 Views)

Re: Problem with HP SSM - will not update bios on certain machines

I've been struggling to get SSM to work. There are no instructions about how to get it to operate in update mode - it always operates in admin mode. There are references to mysterious command-line arguments, which is (I presume) how update mode is entered, but they are undocumented as fas as I can see.

An extremely frustrating experience trying to do a simple BIOS update.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
preetinsa
Message 3 of 3 (408 Views)

Re: Problem with HP SSM - will not update bios on certain machines

You mention that the only typical remedy or a failed BIOS flash is to get a new chip from the manufacturer. However, there is another step that can be attempted before that happens. Some manufacturers provide flash recovery as part of the BIOS update, but for those that don't you can search for other bios flashers for the same motherboard.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation