Re: Network Softpack's Crash SSM.exe (367 Views)
Advisor
Icono
Message 1 of 3 (446 Views)

Network Softpack's Crash SSM.exe

[ Edited ]

The network driver update softpack did not come as SSM compliant.  So I gave it the install command of dpinst.exe after copying dpinst.exe to the install folder.  I then told it the sys file version in [DetailFileInformation] and finally removed the "ssmcompliant=0" section.  

SSM.exe finally does install the driver and it does work correctly, showing up in device manager.  But because it's a NIC driver update, it brifly loses connection with the installation share and ssm.exe throws the error that it was denied access to the cva file.  Then, it hangs forever on an installation loop saying "Currint updating Software For Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet Driver".   

I'm going to see if DPinst.exe can be set to not update the driver until after a reboot as this seems to be a flaw in SSM's capibilities.  It'm sure this is why it came as "not ssm compliant" in the first place.

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP SoftPaq Download Manager to HP PC Client Management. - HP Forum Moderator

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Icono
Message 2 of 3 (382 Views)

Re: Network Softpack's Crash SSM.exe

I've accepted that this is not going to work and have fallen back upon using dpinst.exe from Microsoft to push the nic driver updates after ssm.exe has run.  Most every driver package from HP has the executable as part of it's process anyway.  I'm thinking I will use dpinst for all the installations because of another quark in ssm.exe

When ssm.exe is running on a client machine, it copes the driver packages it intends to install to %TEMP%\SSMxxxx.tmp.  

That's fine, but inside this folder is an extract folder which seems to be contain a copy of every file on the C drive, totalling more than 8GB.  What the #%!! is with that HP?  It doesn't even bother cleaning it up afterwards, wasting a ton of disk space and time.  So far it only seems to be doing it on HQPflash bios update packages and doesn't do it with the video driver update.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
richard429
Message 3 of 3 (367 Views)

Re: Network Softpack's Crash SSM.exe

[ Edited ]

I am interested in the configuration and systems when the temp directory filled up.

What is the system model or models?

What SoftPaq/RomPaqs were being installed when it happened?

What version of SSM?
SSM creates a log file in HTML format with the name :   <systemname>.html

If you add   /debug  to the command line when run in update mode, it will also create a file named:  <systemname>.ssmtrace

These are sometimes helpful when trying to detemine what is happening.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation