TruClient was introduced to the world few years ago as a novel and groundbreaking solution for load testing Web2.0 Rich Internet Applications (RIA). TruClient technology was first implemented as a browser extension integrated with the Firefox browser in LoadRunner 11.00. In LoadRunner 11.50, the TruClient for Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) protocol added the same functionality integrated into the IE browser.
TruClient in Load Testing
The technology is a smart, sophisticated and intrusive extension in a browser. Meaning, TruClient is tightly coupled with the browser. In the Web2.0 world there is a notion called “Browser Logic” which means that the behavior of the Application Under Test (AUT) is influenced significantly by interacting with the browser. The nature of modern Web2.0 applications makes it difficult to understand the business process when examining only the network layer. Therefore, the TruClient solution tries to imitate, as much as possible, real (Tru) user (Client) actions on the AUT, which is why it must be closely tied to the browser.
Comparing the TruClient protocol to the Web (HTTP/HTML) protocol (from a memory and scalability perspective) we must consider how closely real user behavior is taken into account. TruClient is positioned at the same level as the real user whereas the Web protocol is at the network level.
Let’s examine more closely TruClient benefits and capabilities as a solution for load testing:
- Script Development Time (Time to Market). TruClient scripts can be created in a matter of minutes. This can dramatically reduce the cost of developing scripts, and allows users to shift resources towards improving quality.
This is a critical success factor for continuous integration (CI), continuous delivery (CD) and Agile approaches.
- Web2.0/RIA support. TruClient comes with built-in abilities tailored for the Web 2.0 world. AJAX calls and encoded communication are seamless for the script developer and a set.
- Usability & User Experience (UX). A TruClient script is very readable and intuitive – anyone can understand it. TruClient is built for both novice and advanced users. Novice users can develop a script right out of the box, and make it work in a matter of minutes without writing a single line of code. Advanced users can utilize the richer functionality such as Event Handlers, Functional Libraries, Eval C, Eval JS, and much more.
- Maintenance. TruClient requires minimal time for maintenance. There are no correlations in TruClient and the algorithms built-into TruClient are tolerant for various AUT changes.
- Footprint/Scalability. Due to the browser coupling, the footprint and scalability can be seriously affected. We have witnessed that a typical Web2.0 AUT Virtual user (Vuser) can vary between 60-120 MB memory and 1%-30% of CPU usage.
TruClient technology enhances your performance testing experience and accelerates time to market.
Co-writer: Shlomi Nissim