Re: CMU & SSH (433 Views)
Occasional Visitor
mrogozinski
Message 1 of 3 (451 Views)

CMU & SSH

[ Edited ]

Will all CMU functionality be available if the root user has a non-empty SSH passphrase?  For example, after I created a set of keys with a passphrase, multiple CMU options no longer work because the passphrase needs to be entered.  I tried running an ssh-agent to handle the authentication, but I do not know if CMU can communicate with the agent through Java.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Chris Holmes (CMU)
Message 2 of 3 (433 Views)

Re: CMU & SSH

Hello,

No, CMU will not work if the root account requires a password or passphrase when using ssh between nodes. Several components in CMU expect to be able to ssh without a password, such as monitoring and pdsh support.

Can you tell us what problem you are trying to solve by adding a passphrase to ssh on a CMU cluster?

Thanks,

--Chris

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mrogozinski
Message 3 of 3 (420 Views)

Re: CMU & SSH

Chris,

There was no problem that I was trying to solve by creating a set of keys with a non-empty passphrase.  I was trying to "harden" the system from a security perspective, although I do realize that there are other and better ways to protect super-user access.  Thanks for the response, and I will restore the enmpty keys!

Thanks,

. michael

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation