Re: 3 enclosures, same VC firmware, 1 limited to 28 VLANS (506 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Swarm
Message 1 of 4 (584 Views)
Accepted Solution

3 enclosures, same VC firmware, 1 limited to 28 VLANS

Hi all,

Got a weird one.  Im tring to add more than 28 VLANS to my profiles but i am limited to 28 in one of the enclosures.  Weird thing is, all VC modules are of the same firmware (4.01) and from what i can see, set up the same?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Trusted Contributor
Casper42
Message 2 of 4 (538 Views)

Re: 3 enclosures, same VC firmware, 1 limited to 28 VLANS

You never turned on Enhanced VLAN support on one of them.

Go to VC, Domain Settings, +Ethernet, Advanced and there is a Selector there between I think Legacy and Enhanced.
This is a one way change (you cannot go back), but as long as you don't have nor will you ever have 1/10 VC modules (you are Flex-10 or higher) then there is no risk.

Change can be made online with no downtime.
Occasional Contributor
Swarm
Message 3 of 4 (523 Views)

Hi Casper,

Thanks for that, i have verified that this is indeed what was going wrong.

Can you elaborate on why the Flex10 Modules may pose a risk when enabling this feature? 

Trusted Contributor
Casper42
Message 4 of 4 (506 Views)

No its the opposite and there is no risk.

Because there is a common Firmware between the old "1/10" modules and the newer Flex-10 modules, they made this into a radio button that can only be changed when the code detects you are on Flex-10 or newer.

If you were on 1/10 modules you could not turn Enhanced mode on.

The underlying reason here is the Flex-10 and higher modules have more RAM and Processing power in the ASIC and the older 1/10 Modules just simply don't have the resources to handle above the 28 specified.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.