Re: Updating firmware via usb on C3000 C7000 OA (2095 Views)
Occasional Advisor
p33tew
Message 1 of 17 (3,066 Views)

Updating firmware via usb on C3000 C7000 OA

Does anyone know if its possible to update the blade (not chassis) firmware of blades using the newest SPP 2012 using a usb drive plugged into the OA - usb port... so in theory the blade will boot from the usb which is connected to the OA.

The usb is bootable using the ISO of SPP 2012

Is this possible...?

I know booting an iso is possible via ilo - dont want to do it this way no more...23 sites to go!

Any suggestions welcomed...

thanks

thanks
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Psychonaut
Message 2 of 17 (3,044 Views)

Re: Updating firmware via usb on C3000 C7000 OA

Yes, it works just fine.  You'll need to connect them from the DVD Drive page.  Setting all the servers to for a One Time Boot to CD-ROM has worked best for me.

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Goutham_Sabala
Message 3 of 17 (3,033 Views)

[ Edited ]

Does work ! Just make sure that you are not downloading the subset ISO's download the full ISO ( bootable one )

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
p33tew
Message 4 of 17 (3,026 Views)

I have tried -

• using a different usb...these both are new 2gb
  • Tried the same for DVD Drive page from the enclosure settings for the selected blade to one time   boot from CD rom & Floppy A.
  • Tried from Devices and selected my blade to one time boot from cd rom

I dont have a dvd drive in the blade chassis - the usb drive is setup using the HP USB software and the ISO was extracted to the usb.

Still not working - my OA version is 3.31 - if yours work...what OA version do you have?

thanks
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
p33tew
Message 5 of 17 (3,021 Views)

For those that have this working -
Do you have your ISO extracted or is your ISO file copied to your usb drive? I have an extraction but its bootable so in theory I can add files to the hpswpackages to update later...
thanks
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Goutham_Sabala
Message 6 of 17 (3,014 Views)

Do not extract the ISO and then copy , do not directly copy the image to the USB, you got to use the HP USB utility or for that matter any app that makes the ISO bootable to USB

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=MTX-92...

Boot from USB should work if , Once done browse to the USB add any files to SWPackages if needed!

Goutham Sabala
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
p33tew
Message 7 of 17 (3,011 Views)

I can boot from usb when the ISO is copied to it as flat file. This worked when the usb was in the OA usb port.

When using HP use drive key...version 1.6 - Extract and make bootable usb does not work...

I tried one time boot from cd-rom from blade and also DVD drive in the enclosure settings.

Any other idea's?

thanks
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Goutham_Sabala
Message 8 of 17 (3,006 Views)

I agree, because the boot utility is quite old and SPP is released recently  , may be some compatibilty issues , if you look at the description HP SPP is not yet tried and tested and SPP is not updated to be working on the description. If the flat works fine, wow gr8 makes it all easier :)

" The HP USB Key Utility is a Windows application that will allow the user to copy the SmartStart CD, Firmware Maintenance CD, or Easy Setup CD contents to a USB memory key "

Goutham Sabala
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Psychonaut
Message 9 of 17 (2,997 Views)

What you are trying to do won't work through the OA - to use it that way you have to plug it into each blade server from the front using the dongle.  Which is a pain - use the ISO file and you can do all your servers at the same time.

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Torsten.
Message 10 of 17 (2,993 Views)

The usb key utility has a problem (at least for me) with the ISO file. But if you mount the ISO file in a virtual DVD drive or just burn it, then the utility can copy it to an usb stick without problems.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

There are only 10 types of people in the world -
those who understand binary, and those who don't.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! star in the left column!   
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
p33tew
Message 11 of 17 (2,989 Views)

Are you saying that you you can boot off the usb plugged into the OA? On your USB - you can view all the files which are within the ISO file.

I logged a case with HP and they advised that the SPP is too new for HP USB Key Utility and this does not work!!!

However copying the ISO to a usb and booting via the virtual dvd works. This method you cannot update the files on USB as my OA does not pick up the bootable USB stick.

Anyone use anything else apart from HP Usb Key Utility to get this to work.

OA ver 3.31

HP Usb Key Utility 1.60

USB 2GB drives.

thanks
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Torsten.
Message 12 of 17 (2,987 Views)

As already said above, I successfully created an usb stick using the usb creator tool - see above.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

There are only 10 types of people in the world -
those who understand binary, and those who don't.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! star in the left column!   
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Kevin Dole_1
Message 13 of 17 (2,953 Views)

I am having this same issue.  Was it ever resolved satisfacterly?  I have a good tested bootable SPP 2012 USB stick inserted in the OA but cannot attach to the OA  because there is no ISO file on the stick.   If I copy the ISO file( which seems wrong because it is just a copy) to a seperate USB stick,  the OA can connect to it,  and assign it to a blade but when reseting the blade it doesn't boot ...and yes the bios is set to look at dvd  usb and all other media first.

Is there a document that details this process?

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
zeroagemain
Message 14 of 17 (2,270 Views)

I'm having exactly the same issue for what it's worth...

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Psychonaut
Message 15 of 17 (2,262 Views)

Did you try setting the One Time Boot settign on the DVD page to CD-ROM?

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
zeroagemain
Message 16 of 17 (2,172 Views)

We eventually realised as others seemed to have already in this thread and others that if you want to boot blades from an ISO attached via USB through the OA that you have to simply copy the ISO to the USB and NOT create it via the USB key utility as a bootable device.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
zeroagemain
Message 17 of 17 (2,095 Views)

[ Edited ]

...and after doing an across the board upgrade to OA fware 3.60 we have now found that it no longer works.

Adding a USB key containing an ISO to the OA USB slot does NOT result in the ISO being available to be mapped to blades when OA is 3.60.

We have further upgraded one of our test enclosures to 3.71 and it magically starts working again.

We have a call open with HP as there's nothing in the release notes about this, but from experience we're unlikely to get very far so also posting here in case others have the same issues. Very frustrating.

Regards,

Brett

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation