Need Floppy drive support? (189 Views)
Neighborhood Admin
chuckk281
Message 1 of 1 (189 Views)

Need Floppy drive support?

Ed had a quote for a c7000 that needed to support a floppy drive. Here is what our experts responded with to help Ed.

From Diane:

Will a virtual media floppy count, it is seen as a USB floppy?  What would fit on a real floppy now? Can you even buy that media now?

From Kristy:

I have used a usb floppy with the SUV cable no problem and alos used floppy/ floppy image with virtual media no problems.

From Dave:

To my surprise, I was able to use a USB floppy connected to the OA to view and save a config script. I was not sure if the OA kernel would have the floppy drivers, if the port supplied enough power or if it would read a FAT file format. It did so ok and I was able to view the config script with no issue on my laptop. I used my HP floppy we used to use with the older XP arrays to do upgrades 20-30 floppies. Sorry to say that it is so old that the HP part # is worn off.

As to the server dongle, it would depend on the OS having drivers for a floppy. As long as the OS has the drivers, they should be able to use a USB floppy. I have used USB hard drives, hubs, KB, mice, DVDs and floppies in Windows with the front dongle.

Any other comments or suggestions for Ed?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.